How to be happy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been struggling with depression for most of my life. I've been abused by many different people beginning in my early childhood. I have processed all my memories and issues in therapy so much that I should be able to move on by now. How can I just let it go and "be happy?" Is there such a thing? I am so used to chaos in my life that when it isn't there I get anxious! I am exhausted. I have to be up for work in like 3 hours and I just can't take it anymore.

Sadeyes

Staff Alumni
Hi and welcome...I felt as you said when I was first no longer crippled by anxiety...like I was in someone else's body...it took a while to conceptualize this as me...I think being happy is the same way...it is not a state many ppl are used to and feels like being undefended...hope you get some rest after work, and welcome again, J

LoveBeing

Dear sleeplessinvirginia,

First of all, YES, there is such a thing that you can just let it go and “be happy”…

I feel that you may find the book “The Power of Now” by Eckhart Tolle speak to you loudly. At one point of his life, Eckhart said something like this: "I cannot live with myself any longer." (see page 8 of the PDF book below for the story)

Here is a link to free download of the book in PDF:

http://www.holybooks.com/wp-content/uploads/The-Power-Of-Now-EckhartTolle.pdf

Here is part of the table of content of the book:

1. YOU ARE NOT YOUR MIND

2. CONSCIOUSNESS: THE WAY OUT OF PAIN

Create No More Pain In The Present................................26
Past Pain: Dissolving The Pain-Body...............................27
Ego Identification With The Pain-Body............................31
The Origin Of Fear............................................................31
The Ego's Search For Wholeness......................................33
3. MOVING DEEPLY INTO THE NOW

Don't Seek Your Self In The Mind..................35
End The Delusion Of Time..............................35
Nothing Exists Outside The Now....................36
The Key To The Spiritual Dimension..............37
Accessing The Power Of The Now..................38
Letting Go Of Psychological Time..................40
The Insanity Of Psychological Time................41
Negativity And Suffering Have Their Roots In Time.........42
Finding The Life Underneath Your Life Situation..............43
All Problems Are Illusions Of The Mind............................44
A Quantum Leap In The Evolution Of Consciousness.......46
The Joy Of Being.................................................................46

4. MIND STRATEGIES FOR AVOIDING THE NOW

…etc…

I strongly encourage to check out this book.

Wish you well!

icequeen

I have been struggling with depression for most of my life. I've been abused by many different people beginning in my early childhood. I have processed all my memories and issues in therapy so much that I should be able to move on by now. How can I just let it go and "be happy?" Is there such a thing? I am so used to chaos in my life that when it isn't there I get anxious! I am exhausted. I have to be up for work in like 3 hours and I just can't take it anymore.
maybe you just answered your own question. you are used to chaos for such a long time that now the chaos has gone you are struggling to adjust without it. take each day one at a time. when bad things are taken away its got to be hard to adjust not having them there...give yourself space and time to adjust to new feelings no matter how scary. you will never forget what happened to you, but you can learn it wasnt your fault and "live with it". dont expect to forget it but accept it as a nasty part of your life and file it away. trying not to acknowledge bad things lets them eat us up...acknowledge the crap..file it away in the silent file.

dont feel bad :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00