How to call a hotline when you have trouble talking on the phone?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by winduptoy, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winduptoy

winduptoy Active Member

I'm really, really shy and have bad anxiety about talking on the phone. At the same time I really want to talk to someone. The Samaritans are great but one or two emails a day isn't enough when you're feeling this awful, you know? I tried to call one once and the guy couldn't understand me...he said try back on a landline, so I thanked him and said I would, then didn't. I couldn't understand him either because his accent was so thick. Of course that isn't anyone's fault just another reason I hate talking on the phone; I have a hard time understanding people when they speak, especially with accents.

Does anyone else have phone anxiety? Have you been able to successfully call a hotline anyway? How?

2. frantic

frantic Well-Known Member

i'm exactly like that too.
    i called a hotline last month. i just said i'm going to kill myself and let them take it from there. i hope that helps.

3. winduptoy

winduptoy Active Member

Well I don't want to say that because they might alert the authorities and I can't stand the thought of being locked in a horrible hospital again. But I get what you're saying.

4. frantic

frantic Well-Known Member

oh okay. just say i'm not feeling good and then let them take it from there.

5. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I have an extreme inability to speak on the phone too. I'm not shy at all in real life. But it takes me almost an hour to work up the nerve to get through a 60 second call. When I'm actually talking it's like a panic attack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.