How to cope with bad feelings?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Witty_Sarcasm, Apr 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I wasn't sure where to put this, so please move if necessary. I was wondering how everyone distracts themselves when they are really feeling low. Usually it would help me to not be alone, but I have no one to talk to or spend time with. So, what are some things you do when you feel lonely or really depressed? Just thought I would ask so I could come up with more positive coping mechanisms.
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Take very long baths while reading a magazine.
    Listening to music is my favourite coping mechanism.
    Helping others helps me so I try to do that.
    Watch a movie online, it will pass the time away for you too and take your mind off the bad feelings.
    Put on make up and do it to perfection!
  3. Witty_Sarcasm

Thank you for the suggestions :) I already do some of these things, sometimes they help, other times the pain is too great, I end up wanting to hurt myself, to numb the pain, I only wish good feelings were not so temporary.
  4. Northern

Northern SF Supporter

My way is to always keep my eyes and ears busy. I always have the TV or Radio playing(ears) and I chat, cook, read or play games (eyes).
  5. ChestnutMay

ChestnutMay Antiquities Friend

I draw while watching (listening to) Netflix and play with my cats.
  6. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

At a risk of sounding strange, I crack out pen, paper, highlighters and postit notes and I make plans. I do not want to feel like shit - I want the occurrences of hitting that 'low' to be fewer and further between, so I make detailed colour coded intricate plans with bullets and flow charts and time scales of ways to make that happen. Other distraction things are fine from time to time, but if I really want to snap myself out of a crash I have to figure out how to push forward. Plus who doesn't love coloured notes and highlighters and flow charts? :D
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2015
  7. Koji

Koji Well-Known Member

i come bitch about it on here
  8. Witty_Sarcasm

Thanks everyone for your input :) It's interesting to see what everyone else does to cope. Haha yeah, Koji, I bitch a lot on here too :p But I am trying to cut down on that, because I don't want to bother anyone with my problems. I'll just have to keep finding ways to get rid of the thoughts that plague me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.