How to cope with negative thoughts?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Ken5555, Jan 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken5555

Ken5555 Member

I am sure many people here have terrible thoughts about how worthless and alone they are, what to you do to avoid them?

2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

The meds I take for anxiety help for the most part. Aside from that, I distract myself in any way possible. Through books, movies, music, anything really. If my mind is not occupied, that is when the trouble comes in. I am not sure what you are interested in, but maybe you can find a hobby that can take your mind off negative thoughts.

3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi Ken and welcome to sf, there are many things you could do such as just about any hobby, distractions are the way to go for me anyway. Maybe the chat room here might be useful to you? (It is at the bottom right hand corner of the forum), I think you should do some exercise, I have found recently that exercising is doing wonders for my mental state. Do you have friends that could help ease the burden? Keep talking to us Ken :)

4. SteveBy

SteveBy Active Member

Ken, I agree with Petal on exercise. The physical movement and effort is a distraction and also helps alter the oxygen levels and chemicals in the brain, which lifts mood. It does work for me. I also find finding something which is an absorbing distraction helps. When you're focused on something completely, it's impossible to dwell on anything else, including negative thoughts. I hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.