How to deal with triggers?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by K8E, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K8E

K8E Well-Known Member

I'm in the UK and there has been a lot of suicides reported recently including deaths as an inpatient at the hospital I was at, the suicide of a student that I taught and the bodies found of the missing mother and daughter in Bristol.
    I find myself reading reports obsessively, collecting information about how, where and when. Everytime I hear about someone else's suicide it feels as a thread snaps in the rope that keeps me safely connected to the world.
    I also collect stories about suicides and about those who die from anorexia nervous. It's shameful in a woman of my age, intelligence and background but I am helpless. It becomes compulsive.
    I read a suggestion that this is a way of living or rather of 'not living' vicariously, but to me it seems as if this suicide and self harm is becoming normalised through this exposure.
    What do others think?

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hello KBE,

I saw the report on the news of the bodies found in Bristol, horrendous....cannot imagine what was going through her mind that she made that decision and not the decision to seek help, may they both rest in peace,bless them both. I feel so sorry for this woman's boyfriend..husband?, the father of the child.....it's heartbreaking.
    I am really sorry to hear about your friend.

It is happening over here in Ireland too, only they rarely report suicides in the news and I know a lot of them are not written down as suicides but misadventures and accident things, but yeah I see how frustrating this must be for you.

I think we all need to make a stand, stand up do something about it, more needs to be done, the stigma needs to be gone!!

As for how to deal with triggers, for me its talking..whether it is someone on here or the samaritans or helping someone else, that's what works for me. Just talking it all out....

I hope you can find a healthy way to deal with your triggers, hugs to you, it is not an easy task but you can do it! :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.