How to end a friendship?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by jjjoooggg2, Jul 19, 2010.

1. jjjoooggg2

jjjoooggg2 Well-Known Member

Ok, I've known this buddy since I went to college, so it's been 10 years. I helped him alot through physics.
    He has made fun of my bro's death. The first time that I mentioned that I'm considering moving away, he said I was "full of s**t," because my father needs me and I have a great opportunity to continue the restaurant business. He knows nothing about my father except that I mentioned once that he is controlling.

Has anyone ended a long term friendship and how? He calls me every 2 or 3 months. Maybe, just change my cell.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2010
  2. 2-D

2-D Well-Known Member

Personally id just tell him to get stuffed (strong language encouraged) and one way ive found works, change emails/phone numbers - or if he calls, play VERY LOUD heavy type music (korn/black sabbath/sex pistols etc etc) i know it sounds childish but it does work

sorry about ur brothers death :(
  3. jjjoooggg2

I think that he is the way he is for the same reason my father is. He has past learned beliefs and emotional problems that coincide with controlling people except directed at non family members. And being that I'm different from him compliments the problem. This is why I'm cynical about making new friends because although good intentions people have, their psychological problems, beliefs, emotions override.
  4. 2-D

2-D Well-Known Member

that i can quite agree with
  5. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

Sorry to hear about your brother, a real friend wouldn't make fun of something like that. :hug:
    Personally I would tell them they've been out of order and not speak to them again.
    Don't need people like that in your life.
  6. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

Hear, hear.
  7. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

8. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

This person sounds like a very toxic individual.

To be non-confrontational, I probably would just stop contacting him, and show him that I don't want to continue the friendship by my actions, rather than having an argument. That's just me, I guess...
  9. mcviking

mcviking Well-Known Member

Stop contact. Works like a charm. Moving away also helps. You lose friends that way even if you wanted to keep them.
  10. jjjoooggg2

I agree that I need to end the friendship.