How to enjoy the Soap Box and disagree at SF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaos General

Funnily enough this was locked and made a sticky, to be honest i find this sticky highly condascending. These are already rules and everyone knows them so why on earth was this made for? Can i make a condascending sticky as well? Or is that only afforded to a select few who have moderator after their name.

WildCherry

Owner Emeritus
There have been a LOT of arguments in the Soap Box lately that we've had to close because they became too heated or too personal, so we felt something needed to be said. We know the rules are already in place, but it doesn't hurt to put up a reminder sometimes. It wasn't meant to be condescending at all. It was meant to try and help diffuse some of the personal attacks taking place in the Soap Box.

justMe7

I thought the debates were fine. People will argue, it's just the way things happen. I didn't even see the thread, but looking at it now my reaction is . Awww

Honesty fuck it, ill debate how I debate :P Some people might benifit from reading it, I guess. Who knows, doesn't bug me.

BrinkOfExistence

I thought the debates were fine. People will argue, it's just the way things happen. I didn't even see the thread, but looking at it now my reaction is . Awww

Honesty fuck it, ill debate how I debate :P Some people might benifit from reading it, I guess. Who knows, doesn't bug me.
Have you editted your post like 4 times or something? everytime i look in here it's changed :blink:

I find it incredibly insulting to close a thread just because the people debating a topic are heated and passionate about their opinions. I know I've been involved in some of the debates that have been closed, but even though I am arguing a point against someone else's point and we have become a bit heated, we don't carry that on to other threads and are actually very civil and friendly elsewhere.

Another member and myself argued very passionately with one another on a topic, but are still good friends and happily chat about bullshit all the time, but because our opinions differed on a thread and we both became passionate about it, that thread was closed, insulting the both of us.

It's like saying "everyone has to agree or simply state your opinion and move on or you aren't allowed to talk about it" when you close threads simply because people are passionately disagreeing. Adults argue their points, that is normal adult behavior and is in no way unhealthy, so the moderation of these arguments and then re-posting the rules is in fact very condescending. Treating members like children makes them not want to post on any thread involving opinions worthy of social debate.

lord.nigel

well im all for rules just as long as they are used equally and fairly.

i see so many mods around here let their own personal biasness get in the way, which leads to a certain level of unfairness.

lightbeam

Antiquities Friend
I personally don't see anything wrong with the debates going on. I agree with BeautifullyChaotic. People that argue passionately should not be penalized. I mean a debate is a debate. There will be passionate feelings on both sides. That's what the Soap Box is about.

Besides, in the GOP debates on TV right now, there are personal attacks all the time.

I can't even comment on this for fear of reprisals lol. Some of those threads closed involved me and I'm not being paranoid,I just happen to know that certain people on here don't like me. I've had sarcasm about my posts and been told I don't support anybody,ha! I support people when I can relate to a particular issue,I could send cartoon hugs to everybody on here but im not sure how helpful that really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00