• Apologies for the issue with a bizarre redirect on the site earlier today. There was a large server update and an error in an IP address had the traffic routing wrongly. No hacking or anything nefarious and nothing to worry about. Sorry for any stress/anxiety caused. Very best wishes - SF Admin

Practical Advice How to find a good therapist?

johnDoen

Outsider in the Realm of Lost and Found
I think I made the same thread for this at some point in the past, probably well forgotten now. How do you find a good therapist?
I'm facing the same situation like 2 years ago, where I pick therapy instead of suicide. Now, what can I do with every single moment of suicidal thought?

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
Forum Pro
First it is so good that you are reaching out...You could try talking to your GP or reach out to an EAP program if you have one at work... It is challenging I know that there are online lists from websites such as Psychology Today I think it's called if you're in the US. Sending you positive thoughts and *hugs.

johnDoen

That's a good question! Do you have a support worker or case manager? Maybe he/she could recommend someone? I have no answers beyond that for you I'm afraid.
I've never heard of anyone with those jobs before, not in my company.

First it is so good that you are reaching out...You could try talking to your GP or reach out to an EAP program if you have one at work... It is challenging I know that there are online lists from websites such as Psychology Today I think it's called if you're in the US. Sending you positive thoughts and *hugs.
I'm not from the US but I read a lot of articles on Psychology Today, mostly during procrastination.
I don't have a general practitioner. I'm not sure, just get into a hospital and find one?
I've never heard of EAP before. Well, there is labor insurance, bonuses for working overtime, etc, anything but mental health related.

The ideal thing would be to have a recommendation from someone about a particular therapist.

Maybe it's possible to have a brief conversation with several therapists, and then pick on that you like.

I think it would be really helpful to communicate to potential therapists what you DON'T want the therapists to do, because you've had a bad experience in the past. It's also ok to say what you do want.

johnDoen

The ideal thing would be to have a recommendation from someone about a particular therapist.

Maybe it's possible to have a brief conversation with several therapists, and then pick on that you like.

I think it would be really helpful to communicate to potential therapists what you DON'T want the therapists to do, because you've had a bad experience in the past. It's also ok to say what you do want.
The last therapist insisted on having my parent around in every session, claiming as for my sake despite my refuses, and I was 23 back then. I wasn't certain at anything, so by default I trusted a professional, or sort of.

I have no one to ask for therapist recommendation. Almost no one would admit that they have a mental health problem face-to-face, let alone recommending therapists. I had to look around online for a mental health clinic and book an appointment on the edge of suicide with a visible plan.

I don't think brief conversations are free, but what should I say to a therapist to determine the decent ones?

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
Forum Pro
It is challenging to find a therapist irregardless of where you live. One thing I did do was to go online and look for therapists in my area. I realized that as I filled out a massive questionnaire both online and then in person by the time I actually got to see him and talk to him.... I realized that it wouldn't be a good fit. Wish I could give you more concrete information but I went with my gut feeling if that makes sense. So as frustrating as it may be there may be several false starts so to speak. How awful of your last therapist to say that your parents had to be present when you were 23.

Wish had more advice could offer....sending you hugs and encouragement that despite the challenges you do find a therapist.

I don't think brief conversations are free, but what should I say to a therapist to determine the decent ones?
If you can email therapists, you might want to include a list of things that you don't want, and that you do want.

There are some articles on the web that have info about finding a good therapist

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+find+a+good+therapist+reddit&t=h_&ia=web

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+find+a+good+therapist&t=h_&ia=web

I'm not sure how good the recommendations there are, but they may be food for thought.

johnDoen

If you can email therapists, you might want to include a list of things that you don't want, and that you do want.

There are some articles on the web that have info about finding a good therapist

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+find+a+good+therapist+reddit&t=h_&ia=web

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+find+a+good+therapist&t=h_&ia=web

I'm not sure how good the recommendations there are, but they may be food for thought.
I can't find a therapist with an email posting online. There are phone numbers, though.
The search results are often about all the things that have already mentioned here. There are lists about the stuffs I can ask a therapist for clues, but I will need to adjust them a bit to make sense in the context of my country and people.

It's still expensive for a visit based on the prices listed in various clinics and hospitals. Nothing is free, and I cannot allow another trauma (minor) or another mistake.
Finding a doctor for a more physical injuries and illnesses has never been this hard.

johnDoen

You're welcome to talk about that here if you'd like to. It's also ok not to.
I don't know if any therapist in my country knows about things like, theoretical orientation or evidence-based treatment. I don't even know how to translate these terms into my native language.
Then, who have the patience to tell me about their history in training, license and study in a medical school?
Heck, I tend to call "therapist" as "doctor" in my native language because I don't know the word for "psychiatrist".

The list doesn't sound practical in the context of my country. I'm hopeless, though.

It could be that those articles won't help much. Imho, the main thing is that you tell them what you don't want the therapist to do, and anything you do want them to do, and get them to agree to it.

Do you have the desire to talk to a therapist, or do you feel more like you want to see a therapist because that is what a person should do if they're depressed?

johnDoen

It could be that those articles won't help much. Imho, the main thing is that you tell them what you don't want the therapist to do, and anything you do want them to do, and get them to agree to it.

Do you have the desire to talk to a therapist, or do you feel more like you want to see a therapist because that is what a person should do if they're depressed?
As people have always said, "get some help". It's necessary to get treatment for an illness of sort.
I have no one to talk to for a bit of compassion, so I might need to pay someone for listening, kind of.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$180.00
Goal
$255.00