How to find someone you believe have died?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by worryme, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worryme

worryme Guest

I am worried about a friend of mine who I believe have taken her own life. It wouldn't be a suprise, but my problem is that I can't find her. I can't get hold of her in any way, and I don't want to call the police to ask either, because in case she hasn't commit suicide, that could cause her some problems or distress her a lot.

How does the registering of deceased people in the US work?
    I know I can search places like this,
    but the list is still 6-8 weeks old, and I need to find out from the last couple of days.
    How can I find out?
    Can anyone helpe me please?
  2. Casey.

Casey. Well-Known Member

Hun, there is no real way. If you know where she lives, you can get newspapers from the area and check to see if her obituary is in them
    Hang in there
  3. worryme

worryme Guest

Thank you.
    But how do obituaries work? Do local newspapers write about everyone once they have deceased, or is it only in selected cases?
  4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

Not everyone will have an obituary; depends on the wishes of the family. It may be picked up as a news story, or not, depending on where she lives.

If you are truly worried, go ahead and call the police, or neighbours or a family member. Either she's okay and ignoring you; or she's in distress, and ignoring you; or she's dead. If she's okay she will just tell the cops to go away. If she's in distress, they can call the paramedics and get her some help. If she's dead, that's gonna be very, very sad but at least you will know.
  5. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

If you know the name of the local paper, they generally at least list the name of the deceased even if there is no obituary printed. Sometimes googling their name may turn up something. I think your best bet is to contact the family directly. Inquire as to how your friend is because you have not heard from them in such a long time. You can offer condolenses should the worst case scenario be true.
  6. Fishman

Fishman Guest

Sometimes people don't die, I used to talk to this person in the u.s.a that pretended to kill themselves then I found out months later there myspace page was still up and they where alright...I'm not sure why they did that, maybe just the drama of it. there are odd people out there. If you know what citiy/ county they are in you might be able to email the records department or email them into ways of finding out.
  7. worryme

worryme Guest

Thank you everyone.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.