How to get a life ???

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by goliath, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goliath

goliath Active Member

Do you know the feeling of unhappines? No friends, no joy in life, willingness to change it all yet doing nothing about it? Did any of you used to be unhappy and managed to break a vicious circle? How to get a life? How to be a possitive thinker?
  2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

hi goliath... i have been unhappy recently, and feel like i'm coming back to life.

for me, i couldn't do it alone. my thinking was so tangled up i couldnt' see a way out of the pain. so, the first thing i did was get some help by telling my doctor that i was thinking about suicide. now i have outpatient treatment at a psych hospital in the town nearest me and it's helping. a community nurse comes to visit and she is helping me with the basics for beating depression: information, scheduling my time, anti-depressants, support, exercise, relaxation, no sleeping in the day, human contact. sure... there are deeper issues, but doing the basics has already helped me so much in the last month.

some people might be able to change their thinking to become more positive but i was not one of them, i needed some professional support because i couldnt' think clearly. suicide was the only thing i thought about 24/7 and i couldnt' see any other choices available to me. i see things differently now, most days.

what steps are you thinking of taking? can we help you along the way?

3. cayzira

cayzira Well-Known Member

Yer, I used to be exactly like that. But things change. They did for me (I think they do eventually for most people) and they can for you.

I don't know what I can say that will help, you just have to let things run there course. Before you can expect things to get better, you have to really want the change, and then you have to do something about it.

Find a reason to live, and to change. There is "How to get a life" because it's different for all of us, you need to find something that means something to you, and then you just run with it.

I know this probably dosen't help to much, but from what I know, thats the only way to do it.
  4. Melmoth the Wanderer

Melmoth the Wanderer Well-Known Member

I have no friends, but I'm not really willing to change myself. I'm a lot like my father, who is very social and was popular in school, but I think because I'm a girl, people see my behavior as aggressive and annoying. I don't want to pretend to be demure just so other people are reassured of gender stereotypes.

I see positive thinking as at least partially delusional most of the time, so I'm not too keen about changing my way of thinking. I only voice my opinions, however, when I think the person really needs to hear the voice of negative reason. I try not to squash positive thoughts if they're mostly harmless.

I'm not trying to discourage you from self-growth or anything. I just want you to know that it's okay to be different from other people, to be a cynic in a room full of optimists. You can always think of yourself as a form of balance in this gung-ho world.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.