how to get a therapist ?

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by thowra, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thowra

    thowra Member

    hi there everybody

    hope you all had an endurable day :)

    well guys here's my problem

    i dont want to be sad anymore i want to get help, i see in a lot of other peoples posts they say they talk to a therapist/psychiatrist well i want to get into therapy or on some medication because im not prepared to live the rest of my life purposefully not wearing seatbelts or just walking across busy roads hoping against hope that i will get killed i dont want that nobody would i want help.
    but heres my problem, well im only 14 and my parents my sister and friends all see me as well not depressed or the kind of person that would get depressed, how can i ask for help. exactly how and who should i approach.its complicated because my parents and sister have all said that if i was sad and i were to tell them iit would kill them and it would make them feel it was their fault so that didnt really help at all now i have noone to turn to for help i want to talk to a professional i want to be cured i want to be happy again, the last time i remember being happy was when i was about 4.

    so anyone how did you get help

    how did you take that first step?

  2. Chargette

    Chargette Well-Known Member

    You can ask your school counselor about this. You can also call the crisis line to get help right away.

    Keep posting here, it will help you. I've been depressed since I was very young too.

  3. suicider628

    suicider628 Well-Known Member

    I don't know about your place but i booked an appointment with a doctor specialized in depression/mental health and went to see him. I tell him what is botheing me and he tell me what my problem is. He either refer you to a therapist (i never talked to one) or prescribe medicine. (he give u a little note and u show it to the people at the pharmacy, they give u the medicine and u pay for it)
  4. Tam

    Tam Well-Known Member

    You're going to hate hearing this, but you really need to tell your parents. Just because they've made you feel guilty for feeling bad, as if you're saying it's their fault, doesn't mean they don't care about you. They just may not know how to deal with your feeling bad and are trying to find ways to make you stop feeling that way. But if you tell them, honestly, I think you might find they will take how you feel a bit more seriously.

    And despite all that, you can go see your doctor, talk to him about these things, he will be a good first step to sorting things out for you, whether it's a counsellor, or meds, or talking to your parents.

    And hey that is really good, that you now want to get help. That's such a positive thing to do. Good on you.
  5. thowra

    thowra Member

    hey thanks guys awesome advice from all of you

    im gonna try and talk to my sister but i better plan it out first:unsure:

    thanks for the support

  6. cownes

    cownes Well-Known Member

    hi, has ur school got a counsellor? if it has request to see one, by going to see a teacher, you dont have to tell the teacher what is going on, but the good news is you have established there is a problem and you wnt help, that is always a good sign, i am 16 and seeing my school counsellor, i never wanted my mom to find out about me, but i had no choice in the subject when a social worker and police officer turned up at school, so take control, see a counsellor, tell them about how u feel telling ur parents, and they will help you come up with a plan to telling them, if ur parents cant cope with what you tell them, they can also get support off a counsellor etc, so try not to worry about that, noone expected me to be depressed either and i hid it really well, but now the counselling is really helping, so take the first step and get help, your GP could also help, if you decide to go to ur GP stress to them how much you dont want your parents to no atm, and they should come up with some sort of agreement between you, i now have an agreement between my GP and me, not matter what i tell her she will not share with my mom, let us no what u decide:) hope u can get help soon :)
  7. Petal

    Petal SF dreamer Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

    Hi thowra,

    Did you talk to your sister? If so, how did it go?

    Your doctor should be able to refer you to a therapist, because of your age they will need your parents consent.
    You also have the option of getting a private therapist,again you will need your parents consent. But its another option, if your doctor can't refer you soon enough.
    Good luck :)
  8. thowra

    thowra Member

    thanks for al the advice everyone i really appreciate it

    well i did try and talk to my sister she understood how much i was hurting but feels helpless as to what she can do as shes pretty much in the same position, i told her we could both tell our parents about how were feeling,,but SHE said that our parents wouldnt believe us,whereas id thought they would believe our pain but not be able to handle. confusing much??

    thanks anyway everyone :):Leiaha:
  9. Ignored

    Ignored Staff Alumni

    Well, if you're both feeling bad then there is obviously something wrong going on at home. I think approaching a trusted teacher or adult (aunt? grandparent?) is a really important, necessary start. Leaving it in the hope that things will improve is not a good idea, because things are more likely to come to a head than get better on their own.
  10. sucidalgirl99

    sucidalgirl99 Well-Known Member

    Try your school conselours and pyschologists, and call youth helplines.
    I'm 15 now, but I've been depressed since I was young too.
    Feel free to PM me sometime.
  11. total eclipse

    total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

    Your 14 i think if you can book an appt with your GP regular doctor and talk with
    doctor on your own let doctor know what is happening. Your doctor may set up councilling for youwith a psychiatrist. Your doctor then will talk with your parents for you and perhaps put you on medication until you see psychiatrist.
    Talk with general doctor is best.
  12. kote

    kote Account Closed

    good luck in whatever path you choose.
    at your age things can get very stressful and i understand what you are going through ( being a teacher myself ). seek help wherever you can and keep on fighting as you have a very positive attitude towards the way you are feeling. you know there is a problem and now you want the solution. that is a huge step. id try a trusted teacher first if there are no other adults to turn to. take care and it does get better!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.