How to get over your depression

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Ninja, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ninja

Ninja Active Member

Simple steps you can take towards getting over your depression and thoughts of killing yourself.

- Smile :) Just smile! even if you don't feel like it, even if you think you're lying to yourself. I found that by doing this that it gave he happy memories, and a motivation to create more happy memories. It became a goal! And goals are good!

-Get out of bed. I know that for a lot of you even getting out of bed is a chore. But you've done it before, and you CAN DO IT again! By doing this you have perservered and have become tougher! Yep even just getting out of bed even when you don't want to tells you that you CAN overcome. Simple effort can mean a major accomplishment.

-Get a good night's sleep (8-10 hours). This will improove your mood and you're brain chemestry! Healthy brain chemestry plays a major part in battling depression.

-Eat healthy foods. This is another important step in maintainig and establishing healthy brain chemestry, and it's good for you too ;)

-Try a new activity. During hard times in our lives, we often find ourselves no longer enjoying the things we used to enjoy. Try something new! Just think of something... anything, even if you think it's lame. Trying new activities is exciting and it expands our horizons as to what's really out there. Explore the area in which you live. Maby if you're used to going to the movies every friday, try going to the aquarium or the zoo. Visit your towns information center! You would be surprised what there is to do in your own neck of the woods.

-Get Active! Exorsizing or playing a sport that involves a lot of phisical activity, I have found, helps the most with a healty and positive brain chemsty. You might not want to at first, but force yourself to. I have found that this has helped improove my brain chemestry more than anything else, but I would highly suggest doing anything and everything you can to improove your brain chemestry.

I hope this is a help to all of and good luck. I love you all.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2008
  2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

at the risk of sounding grumpy, if a person is actively suicidal it can take alot more than the items on this list to feel better. being suicidal should be considered a medical emergency as that is what it is. it needs an emergency response or intervention, something more than playing sports or simply smiling.

i like your list, i do many of these things in order to stay busy and on the road to recovery. but i think you minimize the danger we are in when we are suicidal. i would add "get professional help immediately" to your list; go to the ER, call a hotline, or go to see your doctor.

if it was only a matter of willpower i imagine many of us wouldn't be suicidal - we are tough, strong and smart individuals who are full of willpower, instead we find ourselves in the grip of a devastating mental illness. it is not possible to "think" your way out of depression using willpower, instead i really recommend getting professional support. just my two cents.
  3. x

x Active Member

Thankyou for this, I’m sure that those suffering from mild to moderate depression which has no specific cause will find this advice useful If they have not already received similar information from a helpline or doctor.

I’m concerned however that those suffering from serious problems such as dealing with the aftermath of violent or sexual abuse may find advice such as 'smile' and 'eat healthy' a little patronising.

I mean you no disrespect as I’m sure you meant well, I’m simply conveying how I felt after a I was given similar advice whilst suffering from sever depression that had its origins in childhood sexual abuse…it belittled my pain.

Regards Ryan
  4. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hey there Ninja,
    I agree with dazzle. A little exercise isn't going to make you all well. Alot of us are so heavy into depression that doing anything physical is not even going thru our minds. We have our plate full just trying to stay alive day after day.
    Alot of us live in constant fear of ourselves and of others. Before I found this forum I didn't talk at all. Since I have been a member I have found a voice I never thought I would see again.
    I hope you don't take this the wrong way but I personaly don't have it in me!!:chopper:
  5. Ninja

Ninja Active Member

I understand what you are saying. Adn I'm not sayign you're are wrong. But depression really is like the common cold, the reason there is no generalized cure for the common cold is because each cold is like a different kind of virus and it really comes down to the individual person and the situation. These things might not work for everyone I understand that, but these are the things that I have found easiest for me to do when I have gone into depression and have questioned my existence. For me, I got over my depression and thoughts of suacide/homicide by a matter of willpower, and yes I had numerious ammounts of help along the way, from friends, family, but mostly God.

I'm not saying that "if you can't get over your own depression by yourself that your weak" or "if you have depression, then its your fault because you are weak" no, that's just silly. Its a matter of what's right for you. And like a friend would, I'm just offering suggestions of things to try. Maby they'll help, but for some people the best thing for them is to get professional help. These were just some little suggestions that a person could could try, and might be able to help them.
  6. Ninja

Ninja Active Member

No worries. To be honest, I can't say that I have experienced what it feels like to go through what some of you may have. I don't know what it feels like to have grown up in a broken home, with abusive parents. I don't know how it feels to have deal with being sexually molested or raped. I thank God that I have been fortinute enough to have grown up with loving parents who cared so much for me and who showed me love constintly. I had a decent child hood. Maby when I was a kid I thought life stunk, but hearing some of your stories made me realize how fortunite I was, and for that I thank you. But I come here to this forum so that I may understand, and to show you guys love for when others haven't. I want all of you to know that there are people that care about you.

We all have been hurt, we all have our share of problems, maby I don't have yours, and you don't have mine. For instance, I hope none of you ever have to go through what it feels like to loose a child. For those of you who haven't you are very fortunite. (I will however state, that I thought my girlfriend was going through a misscarriage with my child, but it turned out to be her birth control messing up because she went off it when she thought seh was pregnant) it gave her all the symptoms of a misscarriage but without the fetus. We had to deal with the fact that we both lost our child, up untill the doctor told her that she didn't have a misscarriage. But for those few days, all feelign were real. And sometimes it still feels that I actually had lost a child.
  7. Tnecniv

Tnecniv Well-Known Member

hi, I have used this methode for years now, and it cept me going before, but not anymore... but even though, I'd say you make it a sticky:biggrin: It might help other people as well, it can't fix you but it can help you to deal with your problems for a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.