how to get prozac

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by kris.., Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kris..

kris.. Well-Known Member

hey, been refused it by two doctors in just two days.

What are good things to say, that will convince him to give it to me? I'm not very good at wording things, and i get nervous at the doctors so i probably didnt explain myself well enough so he doesnt think i need them :S

I wont really be lying anyway, seeing as i desperately need it, or something, asap..

thanks.

almost 6am why have i been up another nightttttttttt :-(

2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Why is it you want Prozac? Have you been able to explain to the doctors why you want it and what the problem is? What are you hoping Prozac will do for you?

3. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Prozac only works for people with neurotransmitter abnormalities that cause depression. Even then, you usually need to try other drugs. Some people have bad reactions to Prozac even though others with the same symptoms are great on it. Dealing with the brain is a VERY delicate thing, and so medications that directly affect the brain can be dangerous and differ from person to person. I have depression, but prozac made me have a seizure. You need to convince the doctor you have a legitimate case of depression to get anti-depressants like Prozac or Zoloft. If your depression is situational - your wife left you or something - they will only screw you up in possibly horrible ways.

4. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

If you get nervous at the docs then maybe you could write down beforehand what you would like to say & then take that in with you.

Did they offer an explanation as to why they would not give you medication & arrange a follow up appt to see you? A lot of doctors now have adopted a 'wait & see' approach, I think it's more for people who have no history of depression or other mental health problems. I'm not 100% but at my GP practice they do this & patients are usually re-assessed after 2 weeks.

I don't know where you're from but perhaps your practice have a similar policy?

Why are you wanting Prozac specifically? Has your doctor discussed any other treatment or medication?

I hope you manage to get the help you are looking for, please keep us posted :hug:.

5. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

You would really be surprised.
    My driving instructor was prescribed them two weeks after her boyfriend left her.

6. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

A lot of doctors won't prescribe this for any length of time as it is highly addictive and its efficacy reduces the longer you use it anyway. Have you been on it before? There are lots of other anti-anxiety medications which are less problematic but if the problem is that your dr doesn't think you need them then the best thing is to highlight your problems on paper as suggested, and then keep going back. In some cases persistance is the key!

7. kris..

kris.. Well-Known Member

i think its mainly because im too young. i need them for loads of reasons which ive typed hundreds of times and im not really in the mood :-(

8. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Kris, have you gotten to speak with a psychiatrist yet?

9. kris..

kris.. Well-Known Member

nah i got a letter the other day which has a number i need to call, but im too scared :S sorry

10. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Take your time honey, starting something new is always scary,just keep in mind thatyou deserve to get the help you need, good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.