How to go about seeking help?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Furion87, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Furion87

Furion87 New Member

Ok, so this is a little strange talking about this but I have no one else to ask and I'm sure someone here can offer me some advice.

I've been suicidal a while now, I've tried to take my life a few times by<mod edit - methods> enough. I'm sure I have depression because I am constantly feeling down, literally ever day, I struggle to sleep, I only manage maybe 1 or 2 hours a night. I have some very serious anxiety and get nervous and jittery in social situations, im only 27 and I used to be very social and out going but now I don't know what happened, if I wasn't afraid of ending up in a coma or bed ridden being a burden on someone for the rest of my life I would have tried other methods. However I want to seek help and try and stop this before I do it for good.

I don't want anyone to know I've tried taking my life so I guess what I'm asking is if I visit a doctor how do they handle it, if they see the scars on my wrist which are very big will they inform my family or have me committed ? I want to keep everything as quiet as possible, people seem to think that if your suicidal you're crazy which just isn't the case. Has anyone seeked help before?
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2014
  2. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi Welcome to the forum. You have come to a place where people will support you and provide care for you. Please DO NOT DO ANYTHING. I thought about self-harm but someone told me to use an elastic band as alternative. It works as I have used it for the last night months. Please try that rather than cutting yourself. The important thing is you remain calm as you deserve to live life. Also YOU ARE NOT A BURDEN AT ALL. The people who understand your thoughts are ones who suffer similar thoughts. YOU MUST KEEP POSTING HERE FOR SUPPORT AND CARE.
  3. randomguy9

randomguy9 Put's the "Pro" in Profanity Chat Pro

I was involuntarily hospitalized for my suicidal feelings a short while back. they refered me to a clinic which is doing wonders for me.

If you are seeking treatment, then it shows initative. And I suspect, but do not know for sure, that they will be responsive to it.

There are a lot of therapies and medications that you can try. This is a much less rare problem than people think... and doctors understand that.
  4. Furion87

Furion87 New Member

So when you say you were involuntarily hospitalised you mean you had no choice in the matter? That's what I'm afraid off, that's just not something I can deal with right now. I went ahead and contacted a doctor for a check up, how much I will tell him about the situation though I just don't know. I'm feeling pretty positive about things right now but I know that won't last long.
  5. randomguy9

randomguy9 Put's the "Pro" in Profanity Chat Pro

I am no expect on this, but if you are seeking treatment then chances are you aren't going to be deemed an instant risk. You are showing the initiative to try & get better... the involuntary hosptializations happen for people who they are afraind won't make it through the week.
  6. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

You will not be hospitalized for something you did/attempted in the past- hospitalization is based upon your current state of mind and if you currently pose an significant imminent threat to yourself or others and their judgement as to whether you are able to control your impulses. The doctors cannot discuss your attempt with anybody unless you specifically give them permission to (US - though I suspect is same most countries).

Basically - no, they will not hospitalize you because of scars or discuss those with family members. Lying to them is a faster way to get involuntarily hospitalized really since as soon as they start seeing conflicting evidence and statements that makes them question your ability to self asses. If you go , tell them what happened and tell them now that you are in a little better place you are seeking help to prevent future occurrences odds are very good you will maintain control of your course of treatment.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.