How to handle this?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Witty_Sarcasm, May 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

If there are people in your life that you can't really avoid, but they have viewpoints that you disagree with, then how do you deal with that? I'm talking about comments that are homophobic, racist, sexist, etc. It makes me seethe inside, but I don't really say anything because I hate arguing and conflict. It makes me nervous and upset. So how do I not let bad comments get to me?

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

It's not quite the same but similar, I live in a small village and so does the excuse for a man that raped me and all his family, it kills me to see them as ssometimes I have been called names by them and have terrible sick memories of them, once a tramp, and a rat (a rat here is someone who goes to the police and tells on them), you just have to accept it is what it is and DO report it to the police as it's slander and illegal (I think so anyway) but if it's not at the point of being illegal yet just ride it out and remember they are the bad guys in this. Don't let them get to you by you knowing you are better than them and if you keep ignoring them they will get bored and move on. Good luck

3. Witty_Sarcasm

I am sorry to hear you have to deal with that crap. They should grow up and leave you alone, that's not right at all. I hate when people say rude things, I can't help but take it personally sometimes. Especially if it has to deal with aspects of my life. I will just try to keep ignoring the negativity.

4. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

You basically described my mum and my aunt. (Though my mum has tried to ease off on the homophobic stuff since I came out...)...

I usually let them talk while I zone out... I don't part take in those discussions... I make mental grocery lists, try to go through my schedule, or even try to remember scenes from a book or film...

I don't know if that helps you... but for me it helps me to not get quite as hurt and bothered.

Witty_Sarcasm likes this.
  5. Witty_Sarcasm

It does help, thank you. I will just try to tune them out as best I can and try not to let it affect me so much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.