How to make the most of a bad situation?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by TheBLA, Sep 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I'm not feeling good at all right now. I am in a bad situation and am hoping you guys can give me advice on how to get through it as smoothly as possible. I'll give some info below, but you can also find more info in my own member diary thread located in my signature below.

I'm currently in India, supposed to be on a vacation and having fun and being happy, but feel absolutely miserable, the exact opposite. When I made the reservation, I thought it was a good idea in theory. I made that reservation right after I lost my job. I thought vacationing to India would be a nice change of pace, and I have a change of a long vacation before I return to the U.S to find a job again. Because once you get a job, getting vacation is quite hard and you get very little, I know this from my last job I got fired from.

I am absolutely, completely addicted to videogames and computers, I spend all my time on that in the U.S and it has controlled, dominated and ruined my life. So far in the few days I am in India, I have not done any sightseeing, traveling around, etc. You'd think I'd hate doing that and would want to stay cooped up, but I feel that since I spent my money, I might as well travel as bit. Why would I pay so much to do the same thing thousands of miles away from home? The problem is I'm vacationing with my parents, due to being very dependent, weak, vulnerable, etc. So for the first few days we are here, we've spent all the time at my uncle and aunt's homes. My parents are having fun since they get to catch up with loved ones, but I have little attachment to them so while they chat, I spend my time sleeping or on the laptop. Such a waste of a vacation!!!

Tomorrow, I'm supposed to go on a train with my parents to go to some resort town located in a hilly region; its supposed to have a nice, scenic view. I hope things can pick up from there. Because right now, I am hating my situation, I want to go home ASAP. I feel bad because so many people would love to be in my situation, whereas I'm wasting this rare opportunity. Though I'm sure many would also be bored if they were stuck with their parents chatting with their relatives also. I guess I wish I had people my age to go on a tour with, go with a tour group with a guide, etc.

My stupid dad also forgot to bring my prozac pills when we moved from my uncle's house to my aunt's house. I can't tell if my dad is doing it on purpose or a higher power is conspiring against me. I need help to make the most of a bad situation please! Thanks for reading!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2011
  2. Speedy

Speedy Staff Alumni

Oh man, I can relate so much. My parents take me with them to my native country pretty much every summer, and I often feel just the way you feel about how I'm wasting another opportunity. Personally, I'm not close with any of my relatives. As for entertainment and how I spent my time, my laptop was my best friend during that trip this past summer. :hug:

I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to tell you how much I can relate to that. We went to a resort two summers ago with my aunt, and boy I didn't have any fun. My mom and my aunt went to a spa, etc. Hehe! Anyways, I hope you get some advice or suggestions that you can use from SF. Best of luck, man. :thumbup: Take care. ~ Alex

3. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Thanks for your quick reply. I would like to visit Taiwan, especially Taipei. I love computers and many huge computer manufacturers are headquartered there like Asus, Acer, MSI, Gigabyte, etc. These are probably companies the non-geek has never heard of, lol. I'm sure they have a lot of computer stores and such and it'd be heaven for a computer geek like me to go there. As long as my depression doesn't flare up and foul things up, which it always does, like its doing right now. Why is my depression ruining the chance of a nice vacation? I really hope my depression doesn't bother me and my parents when I visit that resort town tomorrow. :)

4. Speedy

Speedy Staff Alumni

It was really comforting that I had people from SF to talk to this past trip. And yup, I've heard of Gigabyte. Not sure about the other two. I'm glad you are interested in computers. Sometimes, trips are really depressing in that I think about how, when I was growing up, vacations were what kids seemed to dream of. And there I was, being miserable during a time when my parents were enjoying themselves. It's nice to know that I'm not alone in that regard. :hug: I get told that a trip to my native country is very exciting, etc. I'd give the opportunity away just like that if someone else could take it. Anyways, thanks for your quick reply as well! :arms:

5. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Do you have a camera or such so that you can distract yourself by taking pics or doing something that you can enjoy alone? Maybe at the resort there will be other ppl your age...and it is good that you are evaluating how to spend your time...try to get out and see the country side...and yes, I wish I were there...J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.