How to remove depression without medicines?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Topz, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Topz

Topz Active Member

How can I?
    If it can't be removed, I just want to feel better
    Any advice?

2. AlexiMarie7

AlexiMarie7 Well-Known Member

Yoga, other regular exercise.
    Therapy.
    Giving yourself routines/schedules for each day, even hour by hour if needed.
    Mindfulness. Try the book "Feeling Good" which they say is as effective as AD/therapy I think.
    More sunlight perhaps, walks/exploring nature.
    Getting out and around people if you are isolating.
    Fighting the negative thoughts, and keeping a flicker of hope alive in some way
    Distractions
    Reading positive stories/quotes/funny videos
    Try not to think of the future too much, except if linked to hope creating
    Celebrate your small accomplishments each day
    Smile more

That being said it's often v. hard to do any of that and in all honesty: I don't quite know.

3. SinisterKid

SinisterKid Safety & Support SF Supporter

With a great deal of difficulty. There are lots of things you can do, as Alexi has just pointed out. The problem is though, depression is a illness of the mind. So your mind is not working properly and its distorting your thoughts. So doing any of the above might do more harm than good.

I am suffering depression right now. I am taking medication. my mood is not improving, but my way of thinking is clearer than it was 3 months ago. I get suicidal thoughts, but I am able to manage those thoughts in a more constructive way. Thats been because of medication and therapy combined and I still have a long way to go. I doubt it would be the case if either of those two factors were taken out of the equation.

If you are depressed, you need to seek attention/advice from someone who is qualified to assess you.

Topz likes this.
  4. IamTetsuo

IamTetsuo Well-Known Member

I think AlexiMaries list is really good and it shows that there are a lot of different methods to combat depression. If any of those ideas appeal to you it's definitely worth trying them out. Controlling the mind to reduce anxiety is important and for me personally meditation and ideas like mindfulness have really improved my life.

Ultimately I think that it is about admiting what it is that you really want and moving towards that (note: not the things that other people tell you are a good idea!). Then you need to understand what is holding you back from these things, what deep rooted beliefs might be holding you back?

In a simple way, I guess that it's about doing things you enjoy and stopping worrying.

Topz and SinisterKid like this.
  5. dodie

dodie Member

I like Alexi's list. I think she has it all covered. There is one more thing. There is a book "The Power of Now" by ?? which encourages us to stay in the moment. I use it a lot when I am driving when I have to focus. It does work. Not letting my mind wander.

Being with people as Alexi says. I even talk to strangers. I often admire people's jewelry. I love that stuff. I have a friend who gives me T shirts she gets on vacation. They are often funny and people stop me to read them. I also wear my SO's Phillies baseball cap and guys talk to me.

Good luck.

Topz and IamTetsuo like this.
  6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Excellent post hun, absolutely brilliant!

Topz likes this.
  7. IamTetsuo

IamTetsuo Well-Known Member

The power of now changed my life almost overnight. There were many other factors leading up to it but that was the catlyst! I love it so much and I plan to read it every year as a kind of anniversary (I've read it twice so far).

Topz likes this.
  8. ghostangelcake7

ghostangelcake7 Well-Known Member

Be sure to get plenty of rest/sleep to help stay hormonally balanced..
    Distract yourself by a good read and immerse yourself in it (I have amazon prime membership and can get free kindle books)

everyone here made the right suggestions. Don't neglect the power of thoughts too. If you feel overwhelmed just practice mind stillness and do 3 reps of diaphragm breathing 10 times. Thinking creates alot of pain..at least in my case. I am studying mindfulness as well.
    Make sure to count your blessings and repeat good self affirmations daily 'My life IS worthwhile, and I am on equal footing as anyone else despite our disparities." I don't know..there's plenty of online self help tools and good read articles. I personally like the website tinybuddha.com or psychalive.org.

Topz and AlexiMarie7 like this.
  9. Anonymous <3

Anonymous <3 Active Member

Remove the source of the depression (unless it's a someone).
    If that can't be done, remember that it doesn't define you as a person. You are better than it. Stronger.
    It's hard.
    But, remember, there are ALWAYS people there for you.
    Find a vessel for that depression. I found it in music and art.
    Every time I feel down, I listen to music or draw. I'm not an artist, but even slapping paint on a canvas makes me feel better.
    You'll find a way.

Topz likes this.
  10. Anonymous <3

Remove the source of the depression (unless it's a someone).
    If that can't be done, remember that it doesn't define you as a person. You are better than it. Stronger.
    It's hard.
    But, remember, there are ALWAYS people there for you.
    Find a vessel for that depression. I found it in art and helping others.
    Every time I feel down, I listen to draw. I'm not an artist, but even slapping paint on a canvas makes me feel better.
    You'll find a way :)

11. Anonymous <3