How to Seek Help

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Disconnecting, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disconnecting

    Disconnecting Member

    How can I self-commit to a mental institute? Could that person be free to leave or even refuse medication? Are these hospitals mostly a business that rotates patients fast as possible without help? Or have they turned around the lives of anyone here before?

    Just wanted to know if I should even bother. or think of something else.
  2. Shauna Lea

    Shauna Lea Staff Alumni

    First of all, it takes a lot to stand up and ask for help so that's the perfect start!

    There are different programs and different rules in each country. I'm from Australia and was unable to admit myself to the Psych ward here...however, there were certain day programs I could voluntarily attend. They usually assess from there. Best thing to do would be to call the primary mental health organisation in your area and get the info. Or, if you're not comfortable with that, get a friend to call for you or search on the net. There are lots of servies out there and I'm sure they would be happy to take someone with a forthcoming attitude like yourself!

    All the best!
  3. KayleighKore

    KayleighKore Member

    I'm from England and 16 and was just wondering what'd be better, seeing the school councillor or seeing a doctor?
  4. total eclipse

    total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

    A school councillor does not have all the necessary skills a doctor would have it depends on how comfortable you are with each individual. A councillor could be a start to just talk and get your feelings out. If you need help or a diagnoses i would talk to your doctor who could put you on medications put you in contact with other professionals as well to help you. It depends on what you are looking for and how serious your needs are medically or mentally.
  5. cownes

    cownes Well-Known Member

    im 16 and from uk too, i see both, a doctor and a school counsellor, school counsellors are good to talk to, they can talk to u about the positives and negatives of goign to see a doctor, im still waiting for my referral appointment with the childrens and adolscence mental health service been waitng three weeks now, and only had to wait the weekend to see my school counseelor, so if u need imediate help go to the school counseellor, well done for being brave enough to ask for help tho, it takes lots of courage!! PM if u need to talk :)
  6. falling_away

    falling_away Member

    It all depends on where you live. Where I live, if you go to the ER and tell them that you are suicidal they will do an assessment on you to determine if you need inpatient care. If you do you can voluntarily admit yourself, but you won't be able to leave whenever you want. If you want to leave you can sign an intent to terminate and they have to release you within three days. I'm not sure if you would be forced to take meds or not if you are voluntary, but if they see that you are constantly refusing your meds they might try to make you involuntary. Then you would have to go before a judge and the judge can make you stay longer and court order you to take your meds. Long story short, think long and hard before you do seek any inpatient care.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.