How to start exercising? (starting from depressed blobby sack of bones)

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Ed., Jul 13, 2012.

1. Ed.

Ed. Well-Known Member

Not posted on this forum for forever!

Situation

I've recently decided that I need to get fit, I'm not over-weight, I'm just living a sedentary lifestyle and my body is just complete garbage.

I'm 23, and apart from out of shape I'm perfectly normal, so in theory I should be able to do anything without injuring or killing myself.

I'm horrendously shy/anxious/paranoid, I don't like sharing my life with other people, thus simply going to a gym or a class is totally not happening, in fact I don't even want to be doing this in front of other people at all. Ideally, I want to do some exercise at home or in my backyard.

Current status

I can stand on two legs etc. and all my limbs are working, my muscles have turned to gloopy fatness, but I'm still relatively skinny due to my girl-like structure.

Often I feel weak, like my limbs are sacks of jelly and moving around and doing stuff feels like wading through water.

I get out of breath very easily, I'm asthmatic at it's hay-fever season, but this I can control and should not be holding me back, the main thing is unfitness.

My heart rate seems to be higher than normal, and goes up a lot when doing physical things.

It takes me ages to recover from strenuous activity.

My goals

I want to have stamina, I don't want to get exhausted quickly etc.

I want my body to be in shape, and I want to be able to be reasonably strong, not aiming for heavy weight lifter strong, just enough to do manly things.

tl;dr

Where do I start!?

2. oval

oval Well-Known Member

You get out of breath easily and your heart rate goes up when doing physical activity, sounds like you need some cardio! Do you have a bike? You could always ride your bike or go for a run. Or would that be too public?
    I wanted to get fit after a winter of deep depression, trying to change things a little bit. I'm pretty out of shape, I'm skinny myself but am anything but fit, have no strength. The first time on the eliptical my heart rate went up to 192 and I was really light headed, thought I was gonna pass out. Cardio sucks ass but will eventually give you the results you're looking for.

3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Always have a physical before starting an exercise program...the first place to work on that after an exam is your core muscles...those are most critical and will prevent injuries...also, if you can swim or do anything anti-gravity, this is the best way to start to get into shape...take it slow..jump rope, lift light weights, etc. and build up your abilities...too much too soon can be costly...I was a dancer for years and when ever I need to get back into shape quickly I was tempted to do something full press, but I walked and eased into a full regime...I love boxing and racket ball, so I went back to those...find something you enjoy so you can stay on the program

4. Ed.

Ed. Well-Known Member

What's a physical? and how do you get one?

I'm terrible at running, I have flat feet and my steps are really inconsistent even when walking, I can walk for miles though but just suck so bad at running. Cycling might be okay, I'd have to find a bike though, for how long, or how far do you have to cycle to make it count? There's a nice wood/forest nearby I could cycle around.

The weird thing is that I'd be way too nervous to run, but cycling is okay, there's something more personal about running.

5. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Hello Ed. Working out at home is definitely a fun thing to do once you get in the hang of it. Rosstraining.com has some great articles on home made stuff you can build to work out with and also some interesting books and dvds that can be helpful for figuring things you can do by yourself. Id suggest getting some plate loaded dumbells as there is a ton of stuff you can do to build strength and endurance with them and they are a lot of fun. Pick some simple exercises, master them, and set some small goals for yourself, and youd be surprised the shape you can get in in a relatively short period of time. Take care.

6. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

Heya Ed!

Ok so I actually was in the same-ish spot as you when I started exercising the first time. I can't go to gyms cuz of my shyness no matter how much I want to, so I know how you feel about that. And when I was taking classes in college it was some of the most horrible times. And I remember wanting to get into shape cuz I had been in wonderful shape during kickboxing but sadly let myself go...

But anyways two things that I found that helped were first- dancing to music. I know, weird. And even if you can't dance it doesn't matter. If you're shy close the blinds or go to a private room. Turn on some music with a beat and promise yourself to dance- or even freak out- over a certain amount of songs- I started with 2-3 first and moved up. Move your feet fast, swing your arms. Look stupid, it doesn't matter, it's just you. But it will get your heart going and is a good way to start out.

Secondly I found this DVD to be a great quick work out. http://www.billyblanks.com/store/ Pretty much any of them will get you going and he does get a good cardio workout. But I'd pop him on and go through the routine at first just once- an hour of cardio can be a good workout.

IF you find it hard to recover you can first start small with sit ups and push ups. My recommendation is to go slow. Don't go until you're tired. I normally start out doing 5 of each, each day and after a week add a couple more. PAin is not always gain. I learned if I went until I was tired then the next day I was unable to do anything. Also if you got a good sized back yard you can walk around it, just pace the fence. For added working out hold soup (or vegetable) cans- one in each hand- and just lift them like weights, just simple bending at the elbows works wonders.

I hope this helps and sorry for being wordy...It's just what I kinda learned to do at home.

7. gloomy

gloomy Account Closed

I was sort of in the same place as you back in December due to smoking/laziness/poor eating… I'm kinda fat now because I still eat crap food/ice cream sometimes, but I have a lot more energy every day and I actually have muscles…

If you lack energy, the first thing you need to do is look at your diet. You'll be surprised at how much better you'll feel if you drop say the top 3 worst things you eat on a regular basis. There's a lot of talk on the internet about what the worst foods are but usually they agree on soda, flavored juice, donuts, fried foods, almost anything from restaurants, etc.

That's the best place to start, I'd say… and I hear you with the running, but if you go at night in the right place, you won't run into anyone. Or wear a hat.

8. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

Oh yes Gloomy I agree with you. When I cut out soda and instead went for natural tea it was amazing the energy I had. But now that I have to eat foods that have no preservitives or that aren't overly processed it's amazing how much more energy I have! I stress to everyone- since I've started the whole new way of eating- that they need to try it. It may be more work to cook freshly but it makes you feel so much better.

9. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Get a swim pass and start swimming. It's a really great way to exercise and the lifeguards are quite pretty too. :laugh:

10. Ed.

Ed. Well-Known Member

totally gave up on the idea.

11. Alwaysalone2

Alwaysalone2 New Member

Im probably to late to add anything useful to this thread but you can try P90X. I have been horribly out of shape my entire life and i have lost a lot of weight while useing it. You can do everything in your living room and it has different cardio options, strength training, and even some yoga.

12. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Pilates - can buy Pilates for Beginners DVD - and do at home in total privacy.

It strengthens all your body from the inside - core strength!