How to stay motivated on a diet?

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Petal, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi all, my nurse got very mad at me yesterday for being up weight, I felt humiliated and worthless. I know HOW to lose weight I just cannot keep it up. I lost a stone, put it back, lose the same stone etc..

One thing I have found is looking in the mirror has steered me away from eating crap but every time I look into the mirror I feel disgusted. Should I keep that up as a motivator or not?

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to stay on track, how to stay on a diet? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your responses. FYI, I am obese. Very over weight and need to lose about half of my body weight. I want to lose 2 stones (12kg) by christmas.
    Walking is the only exercise I will do, would having a pedometer help?

Help....???

2. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi Pets,

Stick to a timetable of food, no fizz, no smokes and no drink. YOU CAN DO IT BECAUSE I BELIEVE IN YOU. Stick to carbs in the morning and protein at night. One day at a time. Be realistic and go one stone before Christmas.

I know it's hard with current medical issues but YOU can do it. Stick to walking in the morning and at night time. YOU DONE IT BEFORE, SO CAN DO IT AGAIN.

I know you are down but don't worry now please.

SunShine1973 and Petal like this.
  3. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

Have you tried planing your meals out one week at a time. Like buying all the food you need for that week so that you stick to the plan?

SunShine1973 likes this.
  4. Petal

I have done similar things but not exactly that. I am impulsive and go day by day. Maybe I will make a meal list and stick to that exact list. Go food shopping tomorrow. Exercise is my down fall, I find it hard to stay motivated and get lazy. I don't eat any more than any average person but I'm not sure food is even the issue. I put on all this weight please don't laugh, from drinking 4 litres of coca cola a day, I have cut that out completely and just at a loss of what to do now.

5. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

It wasn't right of your nurse to get mad at you. She should understand that it is not easy to lose the weight and be more sympathetic. It is a lot of hard work and I know how you are feeling. Don't feel disgusted with yourself. Just imagine how it will be when you lose the weight, and you are healthier. I have a pedometer and that is a good motivator, because it shows how many calories you burned off. If you feel tempted to eat something that is bad for you, try to find a healthier replacement. Like flavored yogurt instead of ice cream or nuts instead of chips. I know that you can do it :)

Petal likes this.
  6. Wallace

Wallace Active Member

People frequently eat to seek relief from anxiety, especially social anxiety. The next time you feel that urge, check to see why you feel that way. Do you want to eat because you're genuinely hungry, or because you're bored or anxious?

Make your change something that you would be comfortable with living with for the rest of your life. If your diet feels like a chore or a punishment, you won't stick with it. Ditto for exercise, pick something that you think is fun, not because you're worried about what other people think of you. Hate jogging? Then don't do it. Can't stand the taste of kale? Don't eat it. You have lots of options available. Pick the ones that will bring you the most joy in your life.

Petal likes this.
  7. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

Hi Petal :)

I may have mentioned this before but when I was on anti-everythings I gained nearly 100 pounds. It was REALLY hard to lose it because the meds basically killed my metabolism, so even if I ate properly, I either gained or didn't lose. My advice is do what it takes to up your metabolism, that means more than just walking though. Can you buy some light dumbbells and ankle weights and do some light weight training at home?

SillyOldBear likes this.
  8. SunShine1973

SunShine1973 Active Member

Thanks for posting this petal just been having a browse around the forum and finding useful things to read i to have a weight issue and I'm finding really hard to loose weight and I am very unmotivated to exercise I make good plans but can never stick to things I'm consistently inconsistent some good tips here from the replies just wanted to say great post and thanks

DrownedFishOnFire and Petal like this.
  9. Petal

Hi all I officially only started my diet wednesday of this week. I went to slimming world. I am making much more of an effort than ever before, trying new veggies (which are omg delicious), walking more even if it's just around the city, eating lots of protein, fruits, veggies. I am really enjoying trying new healthy foods, it is a lot of fun. And I am cooking much more, not microwave meals but proper meals! Lunch today was 2 chicken fajitas. Dinner today was salmon and veggies, snacks were fruit. Went to mcdonalds with my mom and all I ordered was a diet coke so I am improving a lot. Before I wouldn't have been able to do that. So thanks all for the wise tips.

10. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

Congratulations! I hadn't been to McD's for a long time, then we went last summer on a whim and I have to tell you, I lost my taste for it...it was so grosse and fatty. I think that your palate will definitely change with your new way of eating! :)

DrownedFishOnFire likes this.
  11. SunShine1973

SunShine1973 Active Member

I am with you with dieting petal I've started today to use my calorie counter app since I've been unwell with a virus and a mental health crash I've managed to put on 3lb so pissed at myself so definitely starting again today even tho I don't feel like I have the strength am going to give it a try Xx

AlexiMarie7 likes this.
  12. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi, same here I put on a lot of weight but I am determined to lose it. If @Petal can do it, then we all can. Reminds of an old saying that was drummed into me which is "Health is Wealth and Wealth is Health".

Frances M likes this.
  13. AlexiMarie7

AlexiMarie7 Well-Known Member

Hey, proud of you @Petal :)

Just one minor suggestion. Not sure how much water you drink but increasing that in itself is good.

But specifically try to have a large glass of water on waking. I think it kickstarts your metabolism, helps to cleanse, and also it 'fills' you up for a while.
    If you hate water and can only muster up to have it once a day, I think this would be the best time.

Frances M likes this.
  14. Petal

Hiya @AlexiMarie7 I don't drink a ton of water but at the moment I am drinking volvic summer fruits flavoured water, it's really nice. I am used to drinking diet coke/pepsi max so yeah but am trying to drink more water :) Thanks for the tip.

15. Petal

Lunch today was veggies and pasta, dinner was salmon, 1 slice of bread, banana, strawberries, blueberries, tomato and more pasta. Drank 2 litres of water today yay :)

Frances M likes this.
  16. Petal

Thank you all, I am down 4 and a half pounds this week :)

17. AlexiMarie7

AlexiMarie7 Well-Known Member

Awesome start, Lynn! Slow and steady wins this race. Keep it up! :)

Petal likes this.
  18. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

19. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Congrats Petal!

Need to lose weight here too. Can do a group or a thread on accountability for everyone to encourage everyone else not to give up

Petal likes this.
  20. Petal

I agree completely, a general weight loss thread would do us a lot of good and give us the motivation we need to burn the calories. Want to start it yourself? I am still going strong and cooking fresh new exciting meals every day. A thread for us all is an excellent idea as a group. *thumbs up* I wish you luck in your weight loss journey, can I be nosey and ask what weight you are? No worries if you don't want to share :)

DrownedFishOnFire likes this.