how to stop the flashbacks

Discussion in 'Rape and Abuse' started by Nicki, Dec 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicki

Nicki Active Member

I was badly abused by both parents,,My mother if you can call her that used to hit me almost everyday..My dad used to do so many horrible things to me and my sister that i cant tell anyone i feel sick and dirty..I have been having help but i cant stop the flash backs..I still see the horrible things that i had to watch as a child..
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Im sorry to hear that Nicki.

You can't cope with all this alone :sad: You must talk about it to someone. Is it possible for you to get a therapist? :hug:
  3. Songie

Songie Well-Known Member

honestly, im not really sure how to deal with them.I have them too...really bad. Mine happen multiple times a day and send me into breakdowns quite frequently. If you figure it out, please let me know. But, as i was going to say before i got sidetracked, im really sorry that you are having them too. They make coping with your feelings about past events much harder. I hope things get better for you.
  4. TBear

TBear Antiquities Friend

Each person is different. I can only tell you that My flashbacks have gotten, thank G-d, so much better to deal with, and this is how:

It has taken alot of support - you have to have someone you can talk to and rely on. If there is no one in your life, and even if there is - try a therapist.

I made my self let go and experience the flashback, write every detail of it down, and tell it over to someone who could comfort me and reassure me that it was over and it was not my fault.

Ground yourself to the here and now - keep things around you that will help you realize that things are different now. As I said, alot depends on the individual and the help you can get.

Most importantly realize it can get better, with time and acceptance. I hope you find peace.
  5. d-pressed

d-pressed Well-Known Member

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation.

I think that time will be the ultimate healer, but in the meantime you should also have the support of a therapist to discuss how you can go about moving on, which means thinking a lot about what happened too - and that's not easy, of course it's not. It may seem like it will never end, but it will if you want it to and you'll come out of it even stronger than you are now. It's a new year, and in the words of Nina Simone "it's a new day, it's a new life" (I think she wrote that song?) Take each day as it comes, start small and big things will come eventually. It can all start from say, writing a list of things want to do this year?

Take care
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.