How to stop yourself from cutting

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Ravon, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravon

Ravon Member

It's been a year since I've cut. Things have gotten hard, though, and I need to do it. I've taken to snapping a rubber band against my skin, and I guess that helps a little bit, but it's not the same... I don't want to cut, but it's the only thing that makes me feel better. So, I pose the question, how do you stop yourself from cutting when things get bad?
  2. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

a combination of things; being in counselling, be aware of my bodily sensations, remind myself that the intensity of feeling is usually tranisent so i try to prospone it, ask myself if i want scarring in the future because now i really want relief, whether i want to cover for the rest of my life and if i continue I will develop a tolerance for it, exercise or any other hobbies that could be used as distractions. Stopping takes a great deal of effort and hard work. good luck and wish you the best Ravon.
  3. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

i self harm in another way.but the urge is just as strong.The only thing that helps me besides talking about it with a therapist,is to release the urge in words..I write violent angry spew bile so horrible that I am stunned after I have written it.:biggrin: but it works for me,and no one gets hurt!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.