How to stop?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Jill, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jill

Jill Well-Known Member

I don’t know what to do I have cut myself every day for the past 2 weeks. It just seems like no matter what I do the urge to cut just will not go away. I have tried several methods to get my mind off of it but they are not working. I have cut my wrists, arms and legs. I want to burn myself now. How do I make this stop?

2. scared_child

scared_child Account Closed

well, i would recommend writing poetry, or just writing down what your feeling at the time. i know it sounds really corny, but it actually helps. you could also try taking a cold shower, holding ice cubes in your hand until they melt, or eating a really hot pepper. good luck!

3. xmercyme21x

xmercyme21x New Member

also taking a rubber band and snapping it is alike cutting, but it doesn't scar and isn't as severe. Maybe you could try that?

4. Lost Disciple

Lost Disciple Well-Known Member

Be careful to take techniques like that in moderation though. I tried the rubber band thing once, and about 15 snapped rubber bands later I was actually bleeding.

The best thing to do is to find something repetitive to do to distract yourself from the urge.

5. fallen-star

fallen-star Member

At counselling once I went through reasons i might do it untill a totally unrelated one (in my mind) came up. When im deprerssed im obsessive about neat and tidy and always cut in parallel straight lines. My counsellor got me to draw straight lines on a piece of paper over and over again. I try to do that when I know im slipping, it doesnt always help but its been about 2 years but ive gone from cutting at least weekly to probably about 3 or 4 times so far this year. My advice is try things even if you think its stupid and never gonna work, something out there will make you feel a little better, its just a case of finding it.

6. birdy

birdy Well-Known Member

well i agree with scared child.
    writting stuff down really helps.
    and if everything fails, you should go for help asap, or else u might get addicted to that pain (i know it sounds stupid, but it is that way...)

oh yeah and by the way: never give up...
    and hey! you can do it. you know it. we all know it.

keep ur head up high

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.