How to survive a tough patch??? Advice please!

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Shock, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Going through a real tough patch at the moment and need some advice on how to survive it.

I am very ill with an unknown illness that is causing the doctors concern. I am supposed to go to hospital for a series of tests but cannot afford to take time off work.

On top of that I have heaps of bills and no money. My car is broken down so am finding it difficult to get to work. I have just lost $6,000 in buying a replacement vehicle that turned out to be a dud. My girlfriend is putting pressure on me to go overseas with her (with what money?! She wont accept that I do not have any or that I am currently ill).

How do you deal with times like this? I know everyone must go through it at some point...
  2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hiya, Shock. It sounds like a really rough patch. :hug:

First things first. I think you could take care of your health. Really, nothing works well when we feel sick. So your health is important. Maybe take the time off to get the tests done...Wouldn't it be better to take a little time off now so you get better sooner? If you wait, it could take even longer to recover.

Bills...Ugh. The replacement car - damn! Double damn on that! Hmmm. The bills - are these on credit cards or for rent, utilities, food? I imagine you have done this, but if not, review your budget and, for a while, cut out anything that is not absolutely necessary. If you have already done that, you could notify the people you owe and arrange to make partial payments. Most places will accept something rather than nothing, but you might still accrue interest. (Wow, I know this situation and feel for you. It will get better.) If there are a lot of overdue bills, perhaps you could see a debt/credit counsellor. They can sometimes consolidate your debts and you make a single, smaller payment overall. :dunno:

Tbh, I am not sure I understand your gf's perspective. I would want my partner to be well and have enough money, especially if we were traveling. I don't know what to say because it would seem to me that facts are facts - if your health and the money aren't there right now, how can you go traveling? Perhaps suggest to her that you and she could "plan" for a holiday for later, when things have settled down.

And in general, keep talking to us here or to someone else because just sharing your feelings can lift a weight off your shoulders. I'm sending you waves of hope that you win a lottery. :smile: Please be safe and take care of yourself!
  3. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I think Acy said it all 'Shock'..good advice..
    I also think you need to find the time to get those tests done, for your health is the most important thing..
    when you've tackled that then you might feel more able to sort out the other problems....Good luck!

I hope you can get your GF to understand how lousy you're feeling
    take care of yourself
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.