How to talk about it?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Anonymous, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

I've been suffering from depression/suicide thoughts/plans for about 6 years now, and I've always hid my feelings from my loved ones. Over the last couple years it has gotten much worse. I think I'm to the point now where I'm really close to getting all of this off my chest, but I just don't know how. How do you bring something like that up to talk about, after hiding it for so long? If you all have any ideas on how I should approach this, please fill me in, because I have no idea.

Thank you for reading :)
  2. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

At this point in time, I wouldn't have a fucking clue lol. My parents would probly freak out and my mum would end up crying knowing her. Then I'd start crying for no reason and get all pissed at everyone. :laugh:. You could ring up who ever you're getting this off your chest to and tell them you've been hiding something from them for a very long time and it's extremely personal. Or some sought of face to face conversation such as "Look <insert name here>, i've got something to tell you, and it's pretty personal" Or something like that.

I've never actually told anyone at all about my mental state besides those on this site. I don't intend on telling anyone in real life unless I end up in some botched suicide plan that failed.

Hope others can be of more help then moi :p

Good luck :), and you got a lot of courage to tell somehow what you feel like!
  3. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

It seems you're much like me in that way. I'm not sure I'm going to talk about it either, it's just a thought. It's been bothering me having all this bottled up though, which is the only reason I'm considering it. My biggest fear is what will happen after I tell them. Are they going to start pitying me because I'm "sick"? I just don't know, it seems like it'd be very awkward.
  4. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

It could be awkward. The only other person in my family/extended family that is known to have depression/anxiety is my uncle. Funny thing is that my auntie's previous husband also had depression before she divorced him. Ahm just sayin'. Lol. My family is fairly open as far as I know/care. Though they may not know I pretty much want to kill myself all the time, they do know of a few people that have depression(some kids at school/old friends that moved away). So it's not like they would go "pfft, he's just kidding".

If you think it will help you get better I'd say go for it. I can't imagine not having to hide what I'm feeling like(I'm also closet gay so that probly alters the situation...).

After all it could be a massive weight lifted off your shoulders and they could help you through it :).
  5. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

It could go the opposite way of pity, they could go in denial, which is always a risk. Can you not talk to a doctor first? get some sort of help system in place so that if they do react badly when you tell them, you wont be as devistated and you'll have some form of support?
  6. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I finally sat my dad down and told him..I didn't tell mom because she also is suicidal..I let him tell her.. It went better than I expected.. He told me at the end that he doesn't understand but will support me because he loves me..Thats something coming from a man who judges people by what they have and how much money they make..
  7. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

I'm not so sure about doctors. I had a buddy of mine who asked for help from his doc, only to be declared a mental case (which he clearly was not) and eventually in a round-about way, lost his job over it. Long story, don't have time to explain it. But I'm iffy about docs and being entered into the system with psych problems after that situation.

Wow, that's good to hear! No offense to your dad, but there's no way I could open up to someone that judgemental. I think my Dad would be very understanding, it's the others I'm worried about.
  8. Teryan

Teryan Active Member

problem with docs? then open up to one of your really really close friends... theres a risk though.. they could go into denial (like what mysheep said)
  9. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

I don't have any real friends outside of family, just people I talk to here and there. I have MS (multiple sclerosis) so I'm unable to go out and do anything. I'm not much of a talker either which rules out just hanging out around the house. These are some of the sources of my problems.

Thank you guys for replying! Does anyone else have any ideas?
  10. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Denial is the worst.

Sorry OP I have nothing helpful to say because the reactions I've got haven't been too good. Maybe you could try with your dad and ask his opinion? Sounds like he'd listen to you, going by what you know about him.
  11. Gina

Gina Member

Wow, I never thought of denial, that's what my family must be in.
    My family, even though I had gotten myself into therapy 10 yrs. earlier, didn't acknowledge anything until my most recent attempt. Then all of a sudden they had to notice, but still don't really talk about it. They just pay lots of money for therapy and things.
    I would suggest to you if you don't see a doc. To start seeing one and you can break that news to them, that you are seeing one because you are depressed. Then doc can help you figure out how to say the suicidal thing. I think it is rather a personal thing others can't really understand that don't experience it. So I never talk to anyone about it outside of shrinks and now here. But, if you feel a need to tell your family about it, maybe start by telling them you're depressed. Then after they've had time to take that in you could tell them about your suicidal feelings. That is if your not in crisis.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.