How to talk to parents?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by StarrySky197, Jul 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarrySky197

StarrySky197 New Member

I hope I'm posting this in the right place.. Today is my first day here.. and Today it finally hit me that I need to get help.. While I don't feel like this all the time I do often enough for it to scare me.. like sometimes I'll be fine for a week or two then I'll just hit a low for no reason at all.. I'll get to thinking and just...want to end it. I've thought of ways to do so and gotten close. I used to self harm but haven't til tonight. I want to get help.. But I don't know how to talk to my parents about it.. Its sad.. I'm 20 years old still live with my parents no job, hs diploma, no license nothing.. I feel like a waste of space and..Idk.. Sorry for all the extra... I just needed to vent I guess.. How did you guys talk to your parents or how did you get help? Who did you talk to?
  2. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I find talking very difficult in general, so when I told my parents when I was depressed and suicidal, I wrote them a letter. It said all I needed to say without actually saying it.
  3. Lux

Lux Well-Known Member

I found it difficult to start with telling my parents so I went to my local GP with a friend. They'll offer help and guidance and they're professional so you can trust them, and also confidential so if you didn't want to tell your parents or family just yet, you wouldn't need to.

If you're uneasy about it, go to a doctor first. Maybe getting a diagnosis on it might help you explain it better to your parents?
  4. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

As a parent, I can give you a different point of view.
    As a parent, we often don't know what to say to our kids... grown or not... even when we ourselves notice they are struggling. It is a two way street and as awkward as you feel about approaching them about this, they probably feel the same exact way. Butterfly's suggestion is a good one. Aside from that, make sure that you do talk to them (or write) because it is important for them to understand and validate. Perhaps they can work with you to put together a life plan to move forward with education, trade school, work, etc.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.