How to talk to someone about addiction?

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by TheWr0ngChild, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWr0ngChild

TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

I am now seeing someone from a support organisation THANK GOD. I have told the person who has been seeing me MOST of my problems, all apart from my codeine habbit. I have no idea how to approach this issue with anyone, I feel stupid just sitting there and saying "hey I'm addicted to codiene" They really need to understand what the reasons are behind it. I am giving myself another month to break it before I tell anyone, but if I have to, how do I do it, whats the best way so they don't over react etc?

2. Firstly, I'm SO glad that you finally have some really good support!! :smile:

And admittedly, revealing my own addiction to my wonderful counsellor, who I otherwise trusted implicitely, was the very last thing I did. The shame and hesitancy was overwhelming - even though I'd been with her for quite some time. It had a lot to do with the [imagined] fear that despite her truly genuine help and concern, I would be judged. I was nothing more that a weak failure, inspite of the "good things" she saw in me, and acknowledged. It was a very deep secret...and it ate away at me.

But once I did tell her about it (there truly are not words to suggest - only in the best way one can), she provided me with other avenues and resources who could specifically address addiction issues (which obviously, not everyone is "qualified" to do). It was a long and scary road to travel (but so was not addressing it). I didn't feel "immediate relief" so much in my "confession" as I felt like someone had finally seen all of me (the deep, dark, and - to me -very ugly) - indeed the whole utterly honest package. And she did not "judge me" in the least of course (but rather realized the full extent of my crisis - which I think, in the end, is always beneficial). I have never regretted that...

And btw - I've been "in remission" from my addiction for almost 7 (incredible/unbelievable) months...

I hope you find the courage to take that road, given this opportunity (even if you must first gather that courage...)

X

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  3. TheWr0ngChild

TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

What a lovely reply :) It is just SO intimidating for me because of the reason, I am horrendously terrified of being "cared for" in any way because of the abuse I suffered in a "supported living scheme" about 3 years ago. Anyone who takes it on is going to have a horrendous time getting through that.

4. Ah, yes...that's a whole other brand of fear (terror!). And I well remember your descriptions of all the indignities that you'd endured. Maybe you could broach the subject and expand on it ("feel them out"?). God knows a sense of trust is hard to regain, but you might find yourself feeling incrementally more comfortable with them (I am hoping - that is - it sounds like this will be an ongoing thing, at least for the time being). You might even "admit" your fears straight out (which are very valid and especially relevant to yourself), as this might affect or change their approach in dealing with you as an individual...and then, slowly take it from there...

I also thought (never edit while brainstorming) that instead of saying the words - if, but more hopefully when you choose to do so - you might simply hand them the receipts or such for your (um, I'm guessing 'multiple') prescriptions...and let them take it from there and ask questions.

Your understandable terror would be better eased in order for you to finally address these issues (Though I'm figuring you're already overwhelmed, inspite of a sense of relief...try to allow the relief to grow if you can - it can indeed be conscious, though I know it's rather embedded in your 'subconscious') :smile:

5. kittyD

kittyD Well-Known Member

HI,
    I've just joined this forum and I certainly don't want to come across as a know it all. But...codiene addiction I do know, in and out. I didn't tell until I was at the bottom and ready to get help. I first told a newish but close friend. Just simply telling why and how I first started opened the floodgates. I don't know how others on here feel about it, but I chose to go on methadone treatment. The only caution I would give you if you choose methadone, is to not stay on it very long. Go as high as you need to to, stay until there until you are sure all cravings and then taper off. I personally made the mistake of staying on too long and it took a long time to taper off. Barring any problems though, I should be off by mid June. There is a wonderful website/group on Methadone Maintenance Therapy called ATWatchdog. I don't remember the url offhand, send me a private message if you it.
    kD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.