How to talk

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Stew3, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stew3

Stew3 Active Member

to a doctor?
    I am going to gp tomorow but dont really know what I am going to say know will not just fob me off(like parents) but still wish could just explain feelings clearly.
    Been told just tell exact truth but any of you guys got any tips?
  2. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

The best thing I can suggest is to write down EXACTLY how you are feeling, clearly and concisely. Then you can simply read it to the doc, and if he asks any questions you can explain it further. Writing it down like a grocery list will help you to stay on track an to make sure you do not leave anything out. Good luck and let us all know how it goes! :)
  3. Jackson

Jackson Guest

good advice pea
  4. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

I'd be careful. If Stew3 is feeling suicidal and openly admits this it might amount to a one way ticket to an involuntary commitment. When you talk to a doctor about this sort of thing their supposed confidentiality goes out the window...Not that I blame them, given some of the more absurd lawsuits that have been won in this area over the past few years. Just remember if you talk about these kind of feelings there's a distinct possibility they will NOT stop with the physician.
  5. theOtherGuy

theOtherGuy Active Member

I just saw a campus psychiatrist and doctor recently. I told them I was suicidal, and I wasn't committed. I just came out and told them everything, but I think the key thing for me not getting committed was the fact that I told them that I never hurt myself prior to my visit. Also, the fact that as much as I wanted to kill myself, I never could come up with the courage to do it.

But, I wouldn't lay everything out on the line. Just tell them what you want first rather than just an outlet. I think it keeps the "involuntary commitment" when you tell them that you want to get better. If you've made up your mind that you wanted to kill yourself, then I think they'd commit you. So, I'd stay away from saying anything like that.
  6. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

Good point. I guess I was just thinking of myself, theOtherGuy. I've got two suicide attempts under my belt plus a three month hospitalization. Though the attempts and hospitalization were almost twenty-five years ago I'd probably not be cut the slack you got. I guess I shouldn't extrapolate from my case to others.
  7. Stew3

Stew3 Active Member

thanks guys I didnt know what to say but I couldnt stop myself crying anyway quite embarresing but he just outright asked me what main cause of all this.
    Good news he doesnt think im mad though I dont find that compforting
    and seeing another councilor next week.
    Onlythingis I really want tokill myself tomorow morning
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.