How to tell bf his mate died of drug od May trigger

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by lancashirelass, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lancashirelass

lancashirelass Well-Known Member

I Have just found out that a friend of my bf died last night from a drug overdose and i'm not sure how to tell him or what his reaction will be. He has known this guy for about 30yrs and although they weren't close i know he will be gutted. How do i go about telling him?

2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Find a quiet time when there is nothing to distract either of you.
    Sit him down and just tell him straight out.
    There is no softening the news, but make sure you have all the information at hand, he will probably want all the details.
    Have a stiff drink nearby for him, and let him talk till there is no talk left.
    Be there to listen, console and support, you can't stop the grief, but you can help by letting him grieve.

3. lancashirelass

Thanx terry. :hug:

4. texaskitty

texaskitty SF Cat Lady Staff Alumni SF Supporter

So sorry Dawn. Have you told him? How did it go?

5. lancashirelass

So i told him when he got home and it turns out he already knew his mate was dead but not how. When i told him he surprised me by saying it was his own fault and he wasn't surprised it had happened.

6. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Well... I suppose that's true to a degree. If that's how he wishes to look at it right now then that's fine in my opinon. Idk, sounds like he's protecting himself from dealing wit the impact on a personal level. I'd give him time. Im not sure how you approach that tbh.
    Sorry for your loss. I hope your bf realizes there's more to it than that simple conclusion. But to be fair, people rarely speak intune with how they're feeling. Sounds more like a Capp responce than anything.

Are you ok?

7. lancashirelass

Yeah i'm ok as i said i didn't really know the guy so didn't affect me. Thanx for listening it's much appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.