How to tell my dr?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Rukia, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rukia

Rukia Well-Known Member

I've got an appointment with my doctor in a few hours and I really don't know how to tell him the truth. The depression is getting too much for me and I need to get back on anti-depressants, but I always say that I'm fine when someone ask me face-to-face how I feel. I can't print out anything since I have to be at school until the appointment.

Anyone got any advice?
  2. jnine

jnine Well-Known Member

hello Rukia,

perhaps you could hand write a note and give it to your Dr. or you could just start saying what you want to say before the doctor asks a question, you know, just blurt, blab, sputter it out when you see him walk in the door. Maybe say the Depression is getting too much for me and see how it goes from there.
  3. Rukia

Rukia Well-Known Member

Thank you. I did tell him almost everything. :smile: He asked if I had thought of a method to kill myself and I said yes, but I told him another method than the one I've been planning.
  4. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hey Hanne,
    Thats good you were able to tell him.. It doesn't matter about the method.. At least he knows you are considering it..Did he put you back on meds..Just keep in mind when you first start on meds it can take up to six to eight weeks before they start working..If you need to talk you can PM me.. I'm only on line in the mornings..Or you can reach me by email anytime.. My address is in my profile..Take care!!
  5. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I've learned to tell my psychiatrist everything I am thinking or going through. Her natural inclination is to be very forceful in wishing to prescribe an individual medication for each malady- but my natural tendency is to refuse all but the most minimal number and dosage of medications. I am hypersensitive to med side effects not to mention generally uncomfortable being reliant on them so my pdoc doesn't get too frustrated with my polite refusals to comply. You don't have to be a walking pharmacy because you don't want to disappoint your psychiatrist but you should be taking some psych medication.

You have the right to be entirely candid about your state of mind and still ultimately be the only one to choose your medication or hospitalization options. Keep in mind, Rukia that it is within your pdoc's legal right and obligation to have you hospitalized if you display a truly "at risk" mental state at which point I hope you can still have the insight to realize that measure is absolutely necessary.

:console: Good luck!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2010
  6. Rukia

Rukia Well-Known Member

He put me back on anti-depressants and I have to see him again in a month.

He is not a psychiatrist, just a regular doctor. I didn't really connect well with the psychiatrist I was seeing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.