How to tell your best friend

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by nikos555, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikos555

nikos555 Member

Hey guys ive kept my depression a secret for 2 years now. I want to tell my best friend but am afraid he'll resent me for it.

please help

2. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Maybe tell him a bit at a time, see how he reacts? Do you think he'll understand?

3. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

This is always a tricky one, sometimes when you tell someone something they may not react how you expect, it can be overwhelming for them to take it all on in.

My advice depending how much you trust them, is to be honest and open and say you respect and think of them enough to tell them, give them time to absorb the information.

I wish you all the best telling them, please let us know how it goes

Rich:kenny:

4. tykata

tykata Member

I found it easier to tell my friend via text. It's less full on than face to face, and you can stop and think what you want to say. All you can do is hope they accept it, undestanding it is slightly harder from an outside perspective and people can react badly. GL

5. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

Be sure not to dump your problems on him. If he doesn't really want to talk about it, don't force your troubles on him.

6. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

The few people I have tried to talk to always tell me they just don't understand so I just give up.. I agree with Wildcherry start small a little at a time..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.