How would you explain this?

Witty_Sarcasm

πŸ¦„πŸ¦œπŸ§πŸŒˆπŸŒπŸ’–
SF Supporter
For those of you who are more emotional than logical, how do you explain the way your mind works to those who are more rational minded? I get asked why I don't stand up for myself or why I just give up on things so easily. When I feel I am failing at something or someone loses respect for me, or that I have screwed up somehow, I tend to freeze, I panic, I berate myself and have the internal dialogue of being a loser, screw up, and failure, whether or not it's true. Like there was a situation today where I felt there were major oversights, however I didn't pursue it because I was too upset and worried at the time. It's easy to think of these things in hindsight, but not so much when you're stuck in the moment. So how do you explain this to other people, and how do you get better at expressing yourself?

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
For those of you who are more emotional than logical, how do you explain the way your mind works to those who are more rational minded? I get asked why I don't stand up for myself or why I just give up on things so easily. When I feel I am failing at something or someone loses respect for me, or that I have screwed up somehow, I tend to freeze, I panic, I berate myself and have the internal dialogue of being a loser, screw up, and failure, whether or not it's true. Like there was a situation today where I felt there were major oversights, however I didn't pursue it because I was too upset and worried at the time. It's easy to think of these things in hindsight, but not so much when you're stuck in the moment. So how do you explain this to other people, and how do you get better at expressing yourself?
all you can do is keep reminding yourself how much of a unique valuable person you are. and you do make mistakes and you do screw up that's a fact. but it's true that all of us make mistakes and screw up. and it's normal for a person to freeze in a panic moment, this happens. if you can do something after it's a good idea to stick up for yourself. also everyone is wired differently. when I was young if something happened I went into attack mode now i'm more cautious, so everyone is different. so if people don't get it then screw them...mike...*console*hug

Leesa

I'm overly sensitive to a lot of things and can't help it. It's so frustrating when people don't understand it's who you are.

Cagla

romantic bastard
It's almost your enemy. Keeps whispering you're hurt, you're angry, you're scared, you're worried. You can't turn it off. It's like...broken . So you can't turn it off and be logical. To me, I mostly am aware how illogical I am. But I can't help it. It's like a robot or something use my body. It's like I have no control over it. πŸ˜“

Auri

🎸🎢Metal Star🎡πŸ₯
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
how do you get better at expressing yourself?
Practice. Practice. Practice. If you go for it more and more, it becomes easier and better.

I can't help you much with the first question as you and I have not the same experiences, but it's worth adding that you know they cannot really understand, but that you'll describe it as best as you can. :)

Witty_Sarcasm

πŸ¦„πŸ¦œπŸ§πŸŒˆπŸŒπŸ’–
SF Supporter
I feel like I'm letting people down somehow. Even after a year of therapy, I still have trouble with this sometimes. I wish my emotions were not as strong somehow.

JMG

~ Peace and love to all ~
Hey @Witty_Sarcasm I see some people have already replied here & given good advice. The only thing I can think of to say really is that I think a lot of people (maybe even pretty much everyone, least everyone who is at least a somewhat caring person) struggle with the same kind of thing. I've def. experienced a LOT of times in my life where I think of something I could have said after & it is very frustrating.

I think it is also often quite a challenge for a lot of people to express the way their mind works and it has definitely always been a challenge for me as well. I describe myself as "moody" and if people express an interest in wanting to know "how my mind works" I usually say something like it can be hard to explain it and also I have a hard time figuring it out a lot of the time.

In terms of getting "better" at expressing yourself, I think it is kind of a lifelong challenge for most people (or a lot of people anyway) but by trying to stay in touch with your feelings and asking what has caused those feelings or influenced them can sometimes help you get clarity on what is going on and what the reason(s) are. Not sure what else to say but please know you are not alone in sometimes feeling overwhelmed by your thoughts & feelings, it happens to me pretty much daily.

Witty_Sarcasm

πŸ¦„πŸ¦œπŸ§πŸŒˆπŸŒπŸ’–
SF Supporter
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one dealing with these feelings. It definitely makes me feel less alone and misunderstood.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00