How you feel about music containing suicidal lyrics

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by the_me_that_you_know, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK. There are 3 types of lyrical messages all about suicide out there. Pro-suicide lyrics(see relapse records catalogs, featuring at least one band-that I know of-who will include an actual new razor blade when you purchase the album). Anti-suicide lyrics(CELLDWELLER actually states: "don't kill yourself" in the booklet after the song he wrote.... the song lyrics let you know he's thought suicidally(see the first quote in my sig).
    Lastly, but not the least of these examples are the songs that are written containing lyrics about suicide that only remind you that many people feel this way. The thought process behind these song lyrics can lead you either way depending on your own state of mind, mainly the way you react to the exact words the artist has chosen or even the emotional state of mind the artist is expressing, like angrily screaming them or practilly crying while using them in the song. An example would be the Papa Roach song about suicidal thinking-sadly do not have the title-where he merely sings most of these lyrics:
    "Cut my life into pieces
    This is my last resort
    Suffocation, no breathing
    Don't give a fuck if I cut my arm bleeding
    Is it wrong or is it right?
    If I take my life tonight
    Chances are that I might
    Mutilation's outta sight
    & I'm contemplating suicide
    Losing my sight Losing my mind
    Wish somebody would tell me I'm fine
    Nothing's alright
    Nothing is fine
    I cry......"

I can almost completely relate to these lyrics on a personal level, making me feel a little better because I know I'm not the only one thinking like that.
    Now, to answer my other questions.
    1st. The pro-suicide thing is something I do not encourage for others. If I needed to I'd actually shelter someone I cared for from any/all that shit... I kid you not about the razor blade(it's not the shaving type) included in the album you can purchase that was made years ago by a band I no longer remember the name of. I'm quite sure I don't care for the message(s) they are trying to convey.
    2nd. I highly recommend anti-suicide lyrics-especially if you think suicidally-for almost anyone. If it's a thing that is going to be taught in life anyway it should be taught in a proper way. The religious persons I know have classified it as a form of murder. You might not go to prison for it but isn't it like 1 of the 7 deadly sins? In any case it is said you will not end any suffering. Quite the opposite in fact. You will burn for eternity in a lake of sulfer/hellfire or whatever the church says.
    3rd. It goes either way depending on how it's enterpreted in the mind of the individual person. I believe I've covered all the bases. So this can now be opened for discussion.
  2. bluekangaroo

bluekangaroo Active Member

I don't really have a big opinion on the issue, but...that was one of my favorite songs in later elementary school (grades 3-5 or so). Just thought I'd add that.
  3. I don't think it's harmful. Nobody who feels fine is going to commit suicide after listening to a song.
  4. ybt

ybt Guest

i'd disagree with that, lyrics can trigger people.

personally, i don't care. it's a song, and you can say anything you want in a song
  5. Exactly! There have even been cases where people haved blamed suicide on music. I don't think that's right. If you're in that state of mind, anything will trigger you..... well, that's what I believe.
  6. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Heh..I don't think you should blame suicide on music, personally, because it probably wasn't just the song that drove them to that point. 'Course if you're already triggered, listening to a triggering song isn't the smartest idea, but it's still your choice if you want to listen to it..
    To be honest, I don't care if the song has anti, or pro suicide lyrics, if I like the song, I like the song.

And by the way, that song is Last Resort. :smile:
  7. Artists should be free to work with whatever themes they want. If suicidal lyrics can trigger someone, they had problems before they heard the song.

Same goes for people blaming video games for acts of mass murder and such.

Forms of media don't insert any feelings that weren't already there.
  8. Pro-suicide people can burn in hell, and anyone that supports that.
    I don't think I know a pro-suicide song. Anti-suicide songs don't interest me.

I love songs about suicide, tho.

Sentenced. Almost all their songs, probably all, are about suicide. All good songs. Melodic death metal. I recommend it.
  9. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

Me feel lyric like Wimbledonovic ,me love it so much.

My man, its kool not as kool as my gentleman FedererXxxxxxx.

Shit man gotta beddie .Ding ding ding . clock look very silly wagging finger ,you cut those fingers type type type & not looking at me. Hey clock, sorry me nytiti nytie now.....
  10. expressive_child

expressive_child Well-Known Member

Good question. I feel like it indirectly helps people to feel better. Not that I am encouraging suicide or anything. But when I listen to songs with suicidal lyrics, it helps me to express sadness at the moment and I will be crying endlessly instead or scream so loud till my throat soars or maybe yelling at myself or something like that. I know its silly though.

As for me, music helps to cope with depression and suicidal thoughts a lot and so I believe its sort of a remedy. I have so far never heard of people killing themselves after listening to a certain song or anything like that. Or I guess it kind of depends on how people perceive I believe if someone is hell bent on dying, they need nothing to encourage them to do so.

Does anyone else think suicidal songs indirectly helps in coping..?
  11. Yes![/i] While I am sorry that people let themselves be influenced by them to the point of actually taking action, I get a big kick out of these songs.
  12. expressive_child

Whats your favorite song about suicide..?
  13. There are too many good ones by artists that I respect completely.
    Right now, Eraser by good old Trent Reznor/NIN comes to mind, though only this part:

"Lose me
    Hate me
    Smash me
    Erase me

Kill me(screamed over & over untill his voice is lost in the music/noise)"

is remeniscent of suicidal thoughts. In case that does not quite fit there is always One Good Reason by CELLDWELLER, which definitly fits.
  14. expressive_child

Wow..sounds like I got to know more about songs like that. fav. so far (the one I can think of now) is Lithium - Nirvana..
  15. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

From back when I was a teen I used to listen to Suicide's An Alternative by Suicidal Tendencies quite a bit.

Fucked up that the song is almost 25 years old now. :unsure:
  16. Interesting gmork, one of my :wootrock: favorite cd's is "The Art of Rebellion" by Suicidal Tendencies.... Btw,I'm 48 years old :wheelchai ( graduated highschool in '77 ) but they still sound good to me.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.