Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by randomname, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. randomname

randomname Guest

if you're incredibly tempted to do everything you shouldn't do.. (drinking, drugs, od, selfharm), how do you restrain yourself? is it worth it to stop yopurself from hurting youself and even more, just for others?
  2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

best thing i've found is to put as many obstacles between me and trouble as possible. that means no stashing pills in the house (no "just in case" thinking)... no alcohol...

the other thing i do is keep lists everywhere. i have lists of "early warning" signs and what i should do... example - my chest starts aching; call a friend... i want to cut; do pushups or bake bread (no kidding, all that kneading works!!).... full on suicidal? get in a cab and go to the ER.

the advantage of the lists... my brain can't play tricks. just stick to the list and i will be okay (urmm, yeah i make the lists when i'm feeling well, not in the middle of a crisis).

what do you do when the urges strike?
  3. randomname

randomname Guest

i haven't had them in a while. at least not this badly.. usually if I'm urged to burn or cut, I drink or take pills, if I have an urge to drink or take pills I hit a wall or walk into objects on purpose or just take a way too hot bath or shower. none working for me atm thoguh.
    I do not want to end up laying awake all night, crying again.

I need to find something to get id of the urges
  4. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I have alternative things to do as well. I also have numbers to call of friends or my therapist if I get to the point where I think there will be no turning back. I have promises and I can't break them.
  5. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

nah, other people just drag you down.
  6. randomname

randomname Guest

I have numbers of friends who wouldn't mind me calling them, but despite of them telling me I can always talk to them, I just can't call them. I feel like a bother already, even if I'm feeling okay.. :dunno: I can't bother them any more.

7. kittyD

kittyD Well-Known Member

This may sound ludicris, but our foremothers used it well.
    sort out a closet, get down on your hands and knees and scrub the kitchen floor, scrub out the shower.
    I'm not belittling your feelings, this can be a temporary solution.
  8. randomname

randomname Guest

Thanks for the advice.

And no worries, I'm fine now. :smile:
  9. bunny

bunny Staff Alumni

glad to hear the storm has past :smile:

remember we're here if you need us again :hug:
  10. randomname

randomname Guest

I'm not well :sad:
    tired, sleepless, down, empty, numb, craving for drugs/alcohol..
    I feel lonely. I am lonely.
  11. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

what's up? and what can i do to help? i am sorry you are feeling so lonely atm, but i'm here if you want to talk ok? please take care and stay safe
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.