Human Rights Day

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Crue-K, Dec 10, 2009.

?

Are Our Human Rights Being Eroded

Poll closed Dec 15, 2009.
  1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. What human rights?

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

Today is the anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Human Rights. It was signed in 1948 and was agreed upon by all the countries that made up the United Nations (over 190). 61 years later, can we say this document has served it's member nations successfully, or is it no more than good intentions. One only has to see to draconian measures that have been implemented in the name of prevention of terrorism, in the US (Patriot Act) and in the UK (Prevention of Terrorism Act), both of which were hastily drawn up without a thought for peoples liberties. Also some notable countries who are UN members and have a somewhat dodgy attitude to human rights since its conception; Most countries previously considered Eastern Bloc, African nations such as Rwanda, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Somalia, Nigeria, and also Myanmar (Burma) and Israel (how does this country get away with so often) to name but a few. I have seen first hand how a country gives carte blanche to its 'secret police' ( Staatssicherheit) to do what they saw fit with its citizens, with a grave outcome.

However we should all be thankful that such agreement exists, even if it is not always applied.

2. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Well said Grahmn. Thanks for putting this up and bringing attention to an under-appreciated achievement. In a historical context, human rights have progressed considerably, to an unprecedented level. We tend to forget that for most of human history, the very concept of humans having rights was completely alien, let alone supported. Though we still have a long way to go, we've accomplished a hell of a lot. As you said, just having this declaration up is something enough.

3. GabrielConroy

GabrielConroy Well-Known Member

what makes you think there is such a thing as human rights

4. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

In America, we have progressed in social rights and civil rights.

However, we have are losing economic rights. (and thats what they really care about)

And in turn, the right of self governance.

Now you have to be able to raise huge sums of money to run, therefore only those who are deemed acceptable by the financial royalty are allowed. (note there is a correlation pattern of money used in a campaign and who wins)

the people do not run this country.

Would the People want their jobs shipped to china so they can work at walmart, be fired for trying to organize a union and buy lead tainted toys for their children whos schools are underfunded?

no we live in an oligarchy

An oligarchy (Greek Ὀλιγαρχία, Oligarkhía) (oligocracy) is a form of government in which power effectively rests with a small elite segment of society distinguished by royal, wealth, intellectual, family, military, or religious hegemony.

and the policies reflect it

5. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

In some situations, yes.... The UK (and the EU as a whole) on immigration, specifically deportation, being a prime example. I did an essay covering an aspect of this very topic only two or so weeks ago.... Interesting to write, but very depressing at the same time.

There was an example given in this report by the Insitution of Race Relations, of how the immigration authorities acted against a woman who refused to be deported, because she had children here... They used several rolls of gaffa tape on her face, and shackled her hands and feet. Result: She suffocated to death and all this in front of her 5 yr old child. There've been incidents like this all over Europe. 'Tis quite sickening, really...

6. Zurkhardo

Indeed, there are always going to be violations of human rights on both an individual and systemtic level. But the very fact that such rights exist in the first place - proliferating to more and more minds as time progresses - is cause enough for hope.

7. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

The UDHR is supposed to be taught in schools, yet it isnt. The UDHR is also not classed as a legal document, meaning our human rights can be denied and we cant use the UDHR as a defense.
    The UDHR was the result of the atrocities in WW2 and it appears the suffering of WW2 has now gone unnoticed as the UDHR is essentially not worth the paper its wrote on. I have personally seen the police breach the UDHR many times as have DEFRA, AH, NWCU, RSPB just to name a few. There is no legal recourse though and it has become a david and goliath battle.
    The only other option left is given to us not only by the UDHR but also the ECHR and the HR Act, that option being the protection of rights and our obligation to start a legal rebellion.....

8. Zurkhardo

I'm not going to argue that the UDHR or it's peers aren't broken or ignored regularly. Even as we speak they're being violeted, whether by individuals, certains institutions, or entire governments. But the fact that it exists in the first place is a major step for the human race, which for most of history never knew such rights.

There's a lot of work to do but we can't say that we're not living with more right than people a 50 years ago. I'm particularly surprised by how many people think their rights are being eroded: pretty much everyone on this site lives in one of those few countries that have such rights. If anyone want's to truly know what it's like to have their rights eroded, try living in Sudan, North Korea, or China.

9. am I alive

am I alive Well-Known Member

What is the definition of HR? I haven't read everything what you said, sorry. Anyways, in my opinion the most important human right should be right to work (have a job)and have free health care. I would say about 50% of world population don't have it. Some of them don't even have a food or clear water to drink. Its not impossible at this industrial progress that we have nowdays, if there is no private interest and free market economy that would be possible.
    Some ppl are destined to be poor and they can't do anything about it. Look at the African continent, if there is a real will to help them they would send them a new tehnology and built them schools for education, but no,they don't need competition. The other reason is corrupted goverment in those poor countrys. All they do is exploiting their natural wealth giving them some food in return on behalf of Red Cross. However, there are scandinavian countrys who pay more attention on social care and i think it should be the pattern in the whole whole world to looking for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.