Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by InnerStrength, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InnerStrength

InnerStrength Well-Known Member

A lofty subject to try and analyze, and I suppose it makes me arrogant for doing so. But, what gets to me more than anything is that there are so many conflicting ideologies. These conflicting thoughts, end up in the suffering and deaths of others. No thought is without a price, it either effects you or another person, or both. It seems like a confusing cesspool of mental ignorance.

I've lost all patience when it comes to other people, myself included. People praise individuality, as if it's the gold of our collective culture. But when that individuality means conflicts and death, widespread tyranny, is it really worth it?

I regret living out this life, it has opened my eyes, but pushed my emotions into a dormant ball. I've gotten to the point where I don't want to exist anymore. I see conflict, never-ending. It's a tiring thought.
  2. Blackness

Blackness Guest

I think we are forced to conform and people who do their own thing are seen as 'different' 'weird' whatever. If you aint a sheep you dont fit in.
    fucked up world!
  3. Puddytat

Puddytat Well-Known Member

just be yourself and dont care what anyone thinks. i guess im just like that, im sick of everyone judging me and expecting things from me, im stubborn and rebelious and i couldnt give a fuck what anyone thinks anymore. take it or leave it.

unfortunately there are too many ignorant people in the world, all anyone can do is start with themselves, you cant change the world, you cant change people, all you can do is live up to your own ideals try to be a good influence but dont expect there to be miracles.
  4. Zueri

Zueri Well-Known Member

Hm. Thought-provoking question, I must admit...I guess I'm equally arrogant for replying. :p

Society pretends to advocate individuality - but it does it's utmost to trample and ridicule the few persons that are actually unique.
    What inventor or artist hasn't been scorned or ruled off as a fool at the start of his career?
    Deviating from the rails of commonplace beliefs is a big taboo; originality is indecent.

The 'uniqueness' that is considered acceptable in society is such:
    A totally ordinary person, incapable of independent thought, imagines himself to be extraordinary and original, feels a glimmer of emotion, and takes it to his head that nobody could feel the way he feels right there and then...Subsequently, he may go off to read half a page in the middle of some book, and become completely convinced that it is 'his own idea;' that he is a most progressive individual and a fountain of originality. What he doesn't actually realize is that he's only becoming part of a trend society has found acceptable. (take for example Gogol's character Pirogov)
    Decorous timidity and lack of real originality are the strict protocol for membership in our 'progressive' society...

In my personal opinion, creating a unique personal identity is worth the struggle it causes. Why should I bother attempting to blend in with the rabble when I can stand out? There's nothing worse to me than having to suppress myself simply to become 'decent' in the eyes of society. If I'm to be condemned for having my own beliefs, so be it. I simply refuse to pretend to be somebody I'm not to be accepted.
    It's just too tiring... :dunno:

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not."
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2007
  5. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

I can never explain myself very well but I'll give it a shot.
    The problem is that there's barely a collective culture anymore. It's become so fragmented and feudal that living in one part of a nation can be like being in a different country, sometimes even believing philosophy than your peers can make you feel like a stranger in a forgein land.

Western society in the past few decades has been focused on demonizing authority and a sense of community, no matter how productive and benign it may be, as well as granting individuals autonomy from birth. This hasnt really produced nations of true, independant individuals as it has caused people to live with lower standards of behaviour. Some will be willing to join with any group of people that will make them feel like they belong, regardless of how they treat others and, ironicaly, however much of their individuality they have to sacrifice.
  6. ACRon

ACRon Well-Known Member

Thoughts explained there are a good summary for my current mindset toward the subject matter. To elaborate the mind we have seeks to fit into the texture of what it percieves around it. when doubting ones existence what better way to feel alive than to grasp anothers epiphany and see themselves described in another dimension.

now i would say that I'm sparkling as i gaze into the fog, but fear the motive of anothers perspective as one of icy landscapes which is known to cause harm if the other in that realm was to leave this place.

Im a bit lost now, and do you know why? because I followed someones words as my own, and when it came to the point where i had to find my own words to build on them, i drew a blank. Because the original idea was pushing my limits already.
  7. Testify

Testify Well-Known Member

The type of "individual" who forces others to see their superiority is not a believer in individualism, they are a believer in mob mentality-with them at the head. True and actual individuals are very rare, and in probably only the most intelligent 2% of the population are capable of actually being "individuals".
    (Un?)fortunately, most humans are incapable of being intelligent enough to be truly individuals, and instead must devote their lives to the lucky few who are actually capable of being free-thinking and unique.
    Recently the masses have become vaguely aware of the correlation between individuality and intelligence, and have, with predictable fallacy, responded by being as pseudo-unique as they could, with the result now being that the intelligent shy away from describing themselves as "unique" for fear of being lumped in with the hordes of screaming, unanimous "individuals". :mellow:
  8. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

Individuality was the myth of the rising bourgeois who took over after the feudal aristocracy was discredited. From now on, hierarchical position was not dependant on group membership but on individual effort, so the myth went.
    Today in these individualistic societies I don't see many individuals actually. Everyone wants the same things, every sociological type corresponds to a distinct line of products and images.
  9. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

Individuality nowadays is defined as: "which car do you like?" while the question wether one wants a car at all, or if a car is something remotely resembling the desire of the individual, is ignored. Consumerist society tries to reduce the whole spectrum of individual desire to those desires which can be fulfilled by the market.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.