Hungry 24/7.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Avarice, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

I don't know if this counts as an Eating Disorder exactly, but it's definate something that's been causing me problems lately. Basically, I can't stop eating. The very thought of food makes me literally salivate, even when I've eaten myself full. I see an advert on telly for chocolate or pizza or some other kind of yummy junk food, and I start daydreaming about it, thoughts running through my mind wondering if we have any in the house and if not, whens the nearest time I'd be able to get some. I don't want to eat so much, my tummy is getting bigger and bigger every day and although I know I should keep fit and do exercise more often, whenever I do I get stomach pains and it puffs me out really easily and I sweat a lot so I need to shower practically as soon as I've finished. It doesn't help that no matter how many times I ask my mum to not buy me chocolate or junk food, she never listens. I've tried going shopping with her to make sure she doesn't get anything too fatty but I end up seeing all these yummy cakes and stuff and then she says, "Add anything you want to the basket" and my taste buds and stomach just take over. I am also a very fussy eater, so finding food that I actually like is a very difficult job for both me and my mum.

I'm probably just being greedy and lazy but no matter how much I want to change the way things are I just can't seem to make it happen.

2. Escapist

Escapist Well-Known Member

I've tried to help,. but only get ignored. Sorry. =/

3. alison

alison Well-Known Member

I could totally be wrong, but maybe its more a function of not knowing when you're hungry, and incorrectly labeling other feelings (anxiousness, loneliness, boredom, etc) as hunger? I say that because I find myself using hunger/eating a lot to distract myself from the things I've listed and its actually very difficult for me to know if I am hungry or not hungry. Perhaps next time you feel hungry, even though you know you shouldn't feel hungry (after you've just eaten a large meal, for example), before reaching for more food - stop for a second and think about how you're feeling. Is anything situational going on? What are your thoughts like? What is your body like? Even if you still end up making a choice that you don't want to make (such as eating more food), my therapist says its a good first step to be aware of. Try to pick apart the snap decisions that you make. (Although, I must say its hard for me - I suck at it lol!)

Also, BED, COE, and ED-NOS are eating disorders :). I wouldn't worry to much about actual 'labels' though. It involves food and its bothering you, so its appropriate to address it in this forum.

good luck, and pm me anytime if you want to talk!

4. LotusFlower

LotusFlower Antiquities Friend

Are you on any medications some meds increase your hunger, and there for cause you to gain weight.

5. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies - I'll try identifying what I'm feeling a bit more when I get those urges, though usually my stomach is doing all the thinking for me. I'm getting better at ignoring temptations of food in the supermarket but there is a box of After Eights on the table across from me staring at me right now. ]= I am currently not on any kind of medication and haven't been for over six months now. It isn't so much feelings of hunger all the time as it is my mouth drooling over the thought of certain foods at the slightest reminder of them, once that's happened it's hard to not give in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.