Hunting

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by bhawk, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

ok, being a huntsman all my life ive heard many different arguments for and against hunting, many false on either side. so i thought i'd see what people's opinions on here are.....
    so what do you think of hunting?

2. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I think it's not really an issue I care about. If people want to do it, I'm fine with it. I don't do it but that isn't a matter of ethics as much as it is that I just have no interest in it. I'm fairly liberal but the whole gun control thing bothers me. Criminals get guns. They always will.

I'm not really into the whole PETA thing. I eat meat. I guess if I had to hunt my own, I would. Or maybe not. I'm lazy.

3. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Hunting for survival, there is no problem with that. Hunting for pleasure, well i'm on the fence with that.

4. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

hunting for pleasure is a complex thing. i love hunting, i enjoy it, although i do not enjoy killing the animals. i do not use guns unless necessary i generally use falcons, hawks, ferrets or dogs and the enjoyment i get is from them working.
    i often wish for a rabbit to escape or a duck to outwit the falcon. the best flights ive ever had have resulted in no kill, and generally 40% of prey will escape....survival of the fittest. the old and ill are often caught and all prey i catch are fed to my dog, ferrets, birds and myself. love nothing better than a good rabbit pie!!!!:biggrin:
    If im ferreting the rabbits bolt into nets and if i think its too young i will let it go. one important aspect to a huntsman is to conserve your game, so you can hunt year on year which is why hunting has proven to be one of the best forms of conservation.

5. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

I used to be a big animal rights supporter and Vegan(which I still am) but thanks to my depression I dont care anymore

Truthfully I always thought hunting was ok as long as you ate what you killed , at least it is better then buying the tortured tormented animals that they sell in the store

6. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

ive met people who think beef is factory made, people who have never seen sheep.
    when i kill an animal i look it in the eyes beforehand, if anything out of respect. i am fully aware i am taking an animals life for my benefit, i would hate not to have that connection with my food. may sound strange but i have a lot more respect for my prey because of this connection.

7. Ozibuna

Ozibuna Well-Known Member

I agree with mystic here. And one day you'll have the luck of same thing happening to you. This isn't survival of the fittest since you throw in your animals, protected by yourself i might add. Care to let me have a go with it with my shotgun? Or maybe if you prefer, i can let you run in a building and let my dogs run you and maul you down. You won't mind right? It's just survival of the fittest: man with shotgun against hawks dogs ferrets, i wonder who will win haha. Anyway at one point this will backfire on you, killing for fun never goes unpunished

8. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

I mean truthfully I guess I am not fond of hunting, I guess it is just a million times better then the tortured tormented animals they sell in stores, that is just dispicable what they do to those poor things in those factory farms

And you say you dont enjoy killing animals, well I dont see how you can kill an animal and not enjoy it or get some satisfaction out of it , I mean I could understand if it was for survival, but we really dont need meat anymore to survive

9. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

you do not read carefully do you, either that or you selectively read bits that match your ideas of hunting.
    40% of rabbits escape, my hawk has a natural limit and is native to this country although in small pockets due to human persecution and loss of habitat.
    we removed the predators, we then farm the land and when the farm becomes infested with them they need culling, on i come needing to fly my bird, whos instincts are to kill, my ferrets work on instinct alone, not one bit of training. generally i catch the old and the weak, the ones that without natural predators die slowly. many of the best flights and most enjoying trips out i have had the prey escape.
    can i ask you one simple question.
    HAVE YOU HUNTED WITH HAWKS, FALCON, FERRETS, DOGS AND GUNS?
    if so please give a list of your varied experiences!

10. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

i am passionate about falconry and my previous employer has the best genetics of captive gyr falcons in the world, able to restock the whole of greenland! the birds need feeding, and same rule applies to them as me....I WOULD RATHER MY FOOD HAS HAD THE CHANCE TO ESCAPE, TO LIVE A FREE LIFE AND IS NOT CAGED UP AND FORCE FED ADDITIVES TO MEET SET WEIGHTS!
    The farming industry on a whole is far crueller, even agriculture. to keep up with YOUR demands farmers harvest earlier and earlier killing thousands upon thousands of birds....JUST BECAUSE THE BLOOD IS NOT DIRECTLY ON YOUR HANDS DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE INNOCENT. AT LEAST IM TRUE ABOUT IT AND I AM CAPABLE OF UNDERSTANDING THAT I TOOK A LIFE FOR MYSELF AND MY ANIMALS BENEFIT!:dry:

11. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

to hunt with birds of prey is to start with a chick, rear it, train its fitness up and pit in against nature, the falcon has natural limits and its fitness will not overtake its preys, nature wouldnt allow that or the prey would die out and the predator would starve....think for a minute!:blink:
    there is nothing i love more than to see my falcon flying near 800ft and not a single tether, not a single line like many hypocrites use on their dogs....the bird is FREE, it returns because i wants to, it kills if it wants to.....and old saying is that 'even a king is humbled by his hawk'
    i cannot make my birds 'do' anything...i fly them and they hunt....is that not nature?

12. Ozibuna

Ozibuna Well-Known Member

You want instinct and instinct alone then you let the bird outside don't feed/protect it, then see how it does because it's not the same when you interfere. No i haven't hunted with anything for that matter, for the pure reason that i don't want to do it. Sure it can be fun, but that doesn't make it right. If you put it like that why is it such a crime when you do the same to humans? And cut that selective reading bullshit you put everywhere you post, that's your excuse to everything.

13. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

firstly i point out YOU HAVE NEVER HUNTED, HOW CAN YOU THEREFORE BE QUALIFIED TO JUDGE ON ITS ETHICS?
    you do read selectively, i clearly stated i do not enjoy killing animals yet you persisted in asserting i do! your ignorant of what i say.
    so if you have not hunted how do you know i protect the bird? how can i protect a falcon hundreds of feet up in the air? also animals of different specied work together all the time (symbiosis), it is NATURAL. honey badgers (ratels) and certain bird species work together, the bird directs the badger to a bee hive, the badger breaks it open to feed on honey and the bird eats the insects! cleaner fish, providing services to sharks etc in return to protection, everything around you is natural, human NATURE is to manipulate, we put up walls to fence cattle, we plant foreign crops, etc every we do is natural, at least i can eat my food with full respect that i took an animals life for it. when other people eat burgers they are ignorant of a life being took, to them its merely a product. life is life and humans kill to eat. i dont pass the buck and let other people have the blood on their hands for my gain though.
    would you rather any meat you eat is caged in appalling conditions, contained and restricted, never having lived free and fed additives or do you want food that has been free all its life, ate from its natural surroundings and when the natural game of life and death came, they lost?
    nature has prey slightly better than their predator, to escape enough for the species to survive. when they are old, weak or unfit they lose the game, thats how nature works. then there is the factor that we killed their natural predators and they become vermin, destroying crops and farmers livelyhoods. they destroy the staple food of the planet, that everyone eats, so they NEED to be controlled. otherwise you would have to pay more for vegetables, farmers would go bankrupt (you try telling a farmer and his family theyre homeless due to rabbits) and rabbit populations would increase to the point they exhaust their habitat of food then you have mass starvation (has been observed in several countries with rabbits.)
    so everytime you eat you are becoming a part of the life and death of many animals, noone is exempt from this responsibility, but many ignore it!
    if you havent hunted how can you believe its wrong? how do you know what its like? you are narrow minded for speaking the way you do about it without knowing about the subject itself. most foolish

14. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

and we do release the birds for long periods of time, we call it hacking. i worked for the only british breeder to free hack his birds!

15. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

thank you. thank you. signs of intelligent life in the universe. always a
    good thing. a good thing indeed. say, where did ya get that idea about
    criminals always being able to get guns while us regular sods would
    become instant overnight criminals if guns were outlawed?

if we could put somethin in the water that might stimulate synaptic
    interaction in the feeble minded, the concept might occur to them as
    well.

I always try to be funny, but I'm a shitty writer. need an editor/
    proof reader. if I in any way inadvertantly lumped you into the category
    of dumbass's who think guns should be banned, it was due to my feeble
    composition skills. on the extreme contrary, we need MORE people like you,
    and less of those of have eyes but will not see. ie; the gun control
    idiots. again, terrible humor on my part. nothin in the water like
    FLOURIDE or something is going to help the terminally stupid.

next time I try to respond to one of your posts, i think I'll give the
    comedy a bit of a miss and just say "I agree with every single word
    you said" and could not have phrased it better.

thanks for being a person with a mind.

16. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

agreed. canned hunts and so on. hey, THAT's the way to feel like a macho
    HE MAN ay? maybe put the old lead back in yer pencil?

"I say, my good man, chain that animal to that post inside that razor
    wired enclosure while I show em what seperates the men from the boys!"

"I'm so MANLY. the little woman will certainly sit up and take notice
    when she sees how MANLY I am from being a big MANLY hunter.
    by gumption, if no ones around to hear, I may let a fart right out
    in front of God and everybody so I can feel REALLY manly!!"

those people should be put into enclosures and have bears and lions
    and so on let in to give em a sniff and decide if they might like a
    tasty morsel.

wankers.

17. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

i agree with you about canned hunts, hunting were the prey has minimal chance and is for no reason other than pleasure, another thing i dislike is also trophy hunting (even though it may be species that needs to be controlled) photos, to kill an animal is natural but to take photos of the deceased animals in sometimes disgusting positions is appalling. i respect my quarry. i use every part of the animals (except the intestines, unfortunately i havent found a use for them so far) my dog is fed raw rabbit carcasses and has given him a great topline, perfect coat and amazing general condition (the amount of stools passed reduces unbelievably as almost all the food is used by the body)
    my birds are fed the rabbits back legs (depending on the birds weight i may just give a full rabbit) my ferrets get a rabbit every other day (full carcass lasts 2 days) and i myself love rabbit pie, rabbit stew, rabbit stir fry (seriously delicious:biggrin:) and also use the coney to make various things, i used to have a pair of motorbike gloves my friend made me from coney i supplied, best biking gloves ive ever had!!!
    the animal does not go to waste like so many do with other areas of hunting like commercial shoots, rich business men shooting hundreds of pheasant for a days pleasure and not using a single one (in i come with a big smile taking a few off their hands:biggrin:)
    as for deer, i only shoot deer and very rarely. i have had a couple of landowners ask me to take a few down as the population was doing damage.
    again i use the whole animal and the venison is mouth watering.

18. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I believe hunting for the purpose of obtaining food and fur (not only fur and not only a head or antlers for a "trophy") or to cull an overpopulated species that is starving or beginning to endanger humans straying from their habitat. I believe bhawk is a very intelligent and humane young man who really loves and gives full lives to his animals.

Two types of hunting I find unacceptable are bow and crossbow hunting. Maybe I need an education on these forms of hunting but my understanding is when the prey is large like a deer, bear or boar you rarely kill the animal with the first arrow/bolt. You hit the animal in as lethal an area as possible then track the animal's blood trail to finish it off. The animal's suffering during this period must be unspeakable and that is only if you can successfully track it down to finish it off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.