Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Brittless, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Brittless

Brittless All I loved I loved alone...

What is the line between being hyper sensitive and needing to let things go and then reacting normally to a situation? This line I can never find. I never know if I'm right to be hurt...
  2. moxman

moxman I am proud to call Rosie, my best friend =) Forum Pro

you didn't think you were getting rid of me that easy did you =)

I feel like you are overthinking this issue. It is simple when you hurt, you're hurt. Don't worry about the rest of it. Just listen to yourself, and pay attention to how you feel. No one knows how you feel, or why you feel better than you. Trust yourself. Our emotions exist for one reason, to keep us safe. Trust your emotions girl. Maybe sometimes you over react or maybe you're being too sensitive. That is ok, your not perfect. You're not a robot. You are a very kind and caring person.

Take Care of Yourself Kiddo
    Piexes and Petal like this.
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

what a beautiful post <3
  4. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hi, Brittless,

We cannot help it if we feel hurt by something. Feelings just happen. However, we can be thoughtful about how we respond to something that hurts us. We can take a moment, count to ten, and think through what has hurt us.

Sometimes, there could be a pattern of someone always doing the same things that hurt and we've tried to explain. For example, if you have a friend who makes plans and always cancels and you've said, "Please don't cancel on me unless it's a major crisis" and the person calls and cancels because they decided not to go with you - yes, that would hurt and would be inconsiderate of the person. On the other hand, if the person rarely cancels and calls to say, "My grandpa had a heart attack and we're going to the hospital now," I think we might opt to forgive our friend and get over our hurt.

It seems to be a question of degree and frequency of the hurt, and also, how we "apply" our hurt feelings to our sense of self/life overall.

With practice, it gets a bit easier to see where people are being hurtful and inconsiderate and where our own negative thinking/assumptions are making us feel they are hurting us on purpose. It can be a fine line sometimes. Communication and talking things out can help. A clue that we are over-reacting is when we have the same conversation with someone who is very kind and reassuring and generally doesn't hurt us. A clue that the other person is being inconsiderate of our feelings is when we've talked to them and they say, "sorry, sorry," but they keep doing the same thing over and over regardless of our discussions.

It gets easier with experience. *hug*
    Piexes and Brittless like this.
  5. Brittless

Thank you moxman. That helps to clarify things for me. I am a bit afraid that I react too over the top to things sometimes, but I can't just hold it in and I do believe I have the right to feel the way I do about things, but sometimes afterwards, after I react to a situation and I'm thinking about it I feel like I could've reacted more cautiously I guess. Less with my heart on my sleeve. Less erratically lol. Then I think people see me as crazy... but... I think i'm okay with being crazy now. Your post means a lot to me. xx
  6. Brittless

Thanks for the reply. It is a very fine line in some of my cases, but well I've said it many times, and I will say it again- I only know what I feel, everything else is uncertain to me, so I think I'm just going to have to go with my heart in a lot of situations. Sometimes though my feelings are very conflicting hence where the confusion comes in.

I'm also a little afraid I might be bipolar or that my depression is heightening my emotions so I don't always trust them afterwards when I'm dwelling on them. I know that is a thing I should get checked out. Thanks for the reply. It did help bring some clarity to this foggy head.

7. moxman

moxman I am proud to call Rosie, my best friend =) Forum Pro

if you keep calling me moxman, we are going to fight. My name is Barry =)

Everything you described above is perfectly ok. Sometimes we have to let our emotions out for whatever reason. Everyone always thinks "How could I have handled that better?" or "What if I done this instead of that?" ; and almost every time we think of something we could have done differently because we have removed our selves from whatever situation we were in and we have calmed down. That is ok your not a robot.

Yes people see you as crazy; that is perfectly fine. Since when do you give a damn about what other people think. You seem like a very strong person to me, your very smart and you have a big heart.

Your going to be fine.
  8. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

That's hard to say. Sometimes I overreact to things, like a playful joke, and then I take it too seriously. If people are being mean, however, I don't think it is bad to show that you are hurt. There is nothing wrong with being sensitive, you just need to decide which battles are worth fighting and which are better off being let go.
    moxman likes this.