Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Deanna, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deanna

Deanna Active Member

Has anyone tried hypnotherapy?

I'm thinking about going to a hypnotist to overcome lack of confidence and shyness. This has always been an issue for me, but some of the things that have happened over the past couple of years really wiped out what little confidence I had...Long story short, when my husband was diagnosed with schizophrenia, the medical bills left us broke, homeless, and pretty wrecked emotionally. I've been working my way back to making a normal life for us, but I have to do a lot better. I tried therapy many years ago, but it felt like a big waste of time.

I've read about people benefiting from hypnosis for smoking cessation, anxiety, etc. My only reservation is the idea of someone messing with my head!

Have you tried it?

Would you try it?
  2. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Some people are unaffected by hypnosis.
    I went on a class trip once; back in highschool-- and volunteered to be hypnotized, but it didn't work for me... meanwhile- it worked for 3 of my classmates.

One thing I do recommend if you're planning to quit smoking, anyways-- is laser treatment.
    It sounds scary but I know 4 people who have gone for the therapy to quit smoking (all smokers for 10+ years) and they were all able to quit cold turkey.

As for confidence and shyness... I don't know if there really is a shortcut you can take to just suddenly be confident and outgoing.
    I suppose you could give hypnotherapy a whirl if you have the time and money it takes to do it?
    Otherwise... perhaps just regular therapy and group sessions could help you eventually gain confidence in yourself.
    Not being confident or outgoing isn't really a horrible thing- as horrible things come; it's just how you are and there are many many people out there in the same boat. You can learn to love yourself and your 'issues' as you see them now- will no longer be issues.

...that's my theory, anyways.
  3. Silverpuddle

Silverpuddle SF Author

Years ago, I went to a therapist who used hypnosis. In my case it was because I had PTSD and my perception of the world tended to go straight to my limbic system, bypassing that handy cerebral cortex entirely.

I found hypnosis helpful for telling the fight-or-flight center of my brain to "go to sleep," so I could talk about my problems like a normal patient. I know that this is not what you are seeking help for, but for me and my issues, hypnosis was fantastic. I've never really had successful talk therapy without it.
  4. poisonedresistance

poisonedresistance Well-Known Member

Hiya guys, as you probably know i dont post that often here unless something really grabs me, and this conversation has definitely done it for me.

-belay any misconceptions you may have about hypnosis, you cannot do or say anything under hypnosis you wouldn't normally. no clucking like a chicken or gaining x-ray vision!!

- hypnosis CAN work for confidence and shyness and many many other thing

--so if somthing does come to light you dont actually have to verbalize it, you can hold it as a thought and take it with you, thinking about it later, although you should trust your therapist enough to tell them whatever it is or look for another one.

- dont be scared of going to those dark places in your mind, most therapists will give you the tools to deal with things along the way, you can learn a lot about yourself while undergoing hypnotherapy and psychotherapy.

- Be yourself, you will probably spend a few sessions just chatting and getting to know the therapist, although you may very well jump in at the second session depending on how things pan out.

- dont let this be the do all and end all, you have to remember hypnotherapy is a partnership, its as much about you giving to it as it is your therapist so its 50/50 your'l only get out of it what you put in.

-and finally dont be put off if the first sessions throw you off a little, most of what happens in hypnotherapy happens outside the session itself, in your own mind, in your own way while you take time out for yourself to put things into order.

- last of all please check your hypnotherapist is registered as a practitioner, there are frauds out there so please be careful in the uk they should be members of the NCP (national council of psychotherapists) and preferably mebers of the GHSC the (general hypnotherapy standards council) do not be scared to ask to see copies of this and copies of their insurance details, if they are the real deal they will have these at hand xx

I wish you the best of luck and I hope that everything turns out the way you desire it to
  5. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I think that Hypnosis or meridian tapping can both be very effective. I went, for a short time, to a hypnotherapist. But when I lost my insurance and went on medicare, she dropped me. Saying that she would charge me 70.00 per session. that would work out to more than half of what I get per month to live on. So I could not continue. Oddly, when I told this woman that I believe either hypnotherapy or meridian tapping would help, she told me that she was a meridian tapping practitoner before she became interested in hypnosis.

It doesnt work for everyone. I think that a combination of hyonosis and constant well constructed messages to self can really make a difference.
    I wish you the very best luck !!!
  6. poisonedresistance

poisonedresistance Well-Known Member

I definitely agree there. EFT is the tapping as you call it, here its known as emotional freedom technique, most hypnotherapists have much more than just hypnosis in their 'tool' kits. NLP is widely practiced and is really usefull, i personally enjoy guided effective imagery because there is no need to speak or analise, it just does its job, there's no need to tear every word apart to find meanings. parts therapy has its uses as well, anchoring as well has many different uses.
    so many different ideas and techniques are out there, and so many people giving you advice, i can see how all this can be confusing to say the least.
    find a therapist you can trust and let them guide you, they will have access to many things you've never even heard of before that I can guarantee.
    cost can be quiet high, usual fee here in the uk is £50 an hour but referrals from the doctor will cover you for free nhs treatment.
    some complimentary therapists do offer discounted rates for people of limited income.
    Have a look around. Most therapists will give you the first session/consultation for free and finances can be discussed then xx
  7. flowers

flowers Senior Member

yes, EFT is the most well known form or Meridian Tapping for sure. And yes NLP is very powerful for sure. I tried it decades ago, before I was ready. Nearly blew me out of the water. It was not yet time to deal with the issues it was bringing up. But thats a testiment to how powerful it really is.

Deena, if you can fine guided effective imagery I agree with litl3r3d, its great. I agree with all of the things she mentioned. Good luck !!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2010
  8. Deanna

Deanna Active Member

This is really helpful information. I didn't consider doing hypnotherapy and psychotherapy together, but that makes a lot of sense. I can see how it could bring about better results in talk therapy, by just allowing you to relax on a deeper level. I'm going to read up on guided effective imagery, and overall just educate myself more on hypnosis so that I can ask more informed questions as I look for the right therapist. You've given me a lot of food for thought.

Shyness and lack of confidence aren't bad traits, but when you notice it increasingly getting in the way of making a decent living, and affecting relationships, it's better to be proactive and take a deeper look at what's going on. I think most of us have no idea about the majority of what's going on in our subconscious, yet it impacts every part of our lives.
  9. Deanna

Deanna Active Member

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the information!

(I apologize for not responding sooner, but I didn't have time to log on this week.)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.