Hypnotherapy for anxiety?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Petal, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Has anyone here tried it? It is always advertised mainly for smoking in my area but they say it has success in treating anxiety too. I am trying to find a new counsellor as well. I need one well qualified to deal with me haha! And I am very picky but have to admit there are so many that I am spoilt for choice (even free therapy there is) I cannot afford full private therapy so will be looking at low cost or free. Think I will go with the free ones :)

Anyway, back to my original question has anyone here tried hypnotherapy for anxiety? Did it help? What do they do exactly? I know very little about hypnotherapy, can anyone advise?

2. IamTetsuo

IamTetsuo Well-Known Member

I haven't tried hypnotherapy with a professional but I think hypnosis is very effective. Different forms of self improvement are like self hypnosis and. People do say though that you can only be hypnotised to do something you actually want.

Petal likes this.
  3. Petal

@IamTetsuo Thank you very much for your feedback, I have sent the clinic a message asking how much does it cost and what is the success rate with anxiety, probably won't get an answer until tomorrow but I am willing to try it.

That fits me perfectly, I want to be free from anxiety forever, so we will see how this pans out :)

IamTetsuo likes this.
  4. IamTetsuo

IamTetsuo Well-Known Member

I hope you try it out. Rember that you can be free from anxiety. Our negative beliefs are a form of hypnosis so they just need to be rewritten.

Petal likes this.
  5. Petal

This gives me so much HOPE!!! If I was free from anxiety I could do literally anything. Right now I feel like I am being held back and it's not a nice feeling, im doing well, just the anxiety is always lingering about, had a panic attack on weds and thurs, im not unstable, they were isolated. Just anxiety in general is ruling my life, thanks for the ray of hope!

IamTetsuo likes this.
  6. ToBeAtPeace

ToBeAtPeace Well-Known Member

I know 2 people who have done hypnotherapy for anxiety and they swear by it. I have the name of the hypnotherapist nearest to me, but my anxiety is so bad, I'm suffering really bad agoraphobia, and I'm afraid to take the step to call her. My psychiatrist has started me on a new medication which will hopefully stabilise my moods, so I can take a step like that.

Petal likes this.
  7. Petal

Hi there, as everyone (well most) members know here I had severe agoraphobia for 5 years, never left the house at all, but I can now :) But still suffer with bad anxiety and hope hypnotherapy can help, if it doesn't what do I have to lose? That's the key question. I have nothing to lose by trying it out. There was no costs on the website, do you have any idea how much they charge roughly? I am glad you know 2 people who have had great success with it, thats brilliant :)

8. ToBeAtPeace

I think rates depend on qualifications, experience and location. I'm live in a location in the UK which is very expensive. In a less expensive location, I think the rate was about £60 a session. I hope this helps.

9. Petal

So about 70 euros (thanks google), off topic but wow the sterling has gone down a lot (im from Ireland), i'd pay the 70 if it ends the nightmare that is anxiety. Don't have anxiety as I write now but when I do get it, it is bad, borderline paranoia imo. Thanks for the info, you have been really kind and helpful!! :) Hope to see you around the forums more =)

10. ToBeAtPeace

Thanks Petal. I appreciate your response. Makes a change from most forums.

11. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Have you ever tried self-hypnosis? There is a doctor in England who has an anti-anxiety audio program. While it did not work for me, you might have more luck with it. And it should be less expensive then face to face hypnosis. Google Healthy Audio Limited and the Anxiety Audio Program 120. I hope it is still available.

12. ghostangelcake7

ghostangelcake7 Well-Known Member

I love hypnotherapy and have tried it in the past when I was a teenager for anxiety. It worked very well, and managed to totally relax my mind and body, even erased some memories, albeit was only temporary but rather lasting in it's after-effects. I highly recommend guided hypnotherapy, I prefer in person when I do this, but you can also listen to it through audio recordings, and some YouTube videos (Michael Sealey is a good one).

Petal likes this.
  13. ToBeAtPeace

I have been doing solfeggio meditation for about a week now, and I feel it working. Google it. The idea (an ancient one), is that certain sound frequencies affect our emotions and feelings. There are 6 frequencies. There are some free solfeggio melodies on youtube. I'm using an app on my phone. It comes with one free meditation - the frequency which helps with relationships - 639hz. Personally, I'm finding 396hz helpful right now - this liberates fear and guilt. I think I'm going to try 417hz soon too - it helps with undoing situations and implementing change.