hypnotherepy

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by sarahmk2, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarahmk2

sarahmk2 Well-Known Member

has anyone tried hypnotherepy as a treatment for depression?
    i've tried everything else and am considering giving it a go

2. jane doe

jane doe Well-Known Member

well people says it works, you won`t lose anything by trying!

3. Melancholy

Melancholy Well-Known Member

My therapist has used it on me several times, and it sure doesn't hurt to try. It's hard to know if it's had any effect as it's always been done in conjunction with other treatments, but it does calm me down big time.

If you want to know more or whatever then you can always PM me

Lauren :hug:

4. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

help for depression would be nice, but even better for me would be the calming effect. My anxiety is getting really bad:sad:

I'll ask my pdoc what he knows about it.

5. Rammingstone

Rammingstone Member

Have never tried it, but I want to. Try this link for info:

http://www.hypnosiscanada.com/index.asp

Man, was I surprised when I found this site. The executive director was a classmate of mine from grades 9-12. Our lives sure took on different paths.

On a personal note, I have a second cousin who was heavily into drugs as a teenager back in the 70's. After unsuccessfully trying 'conventional' methods to rid him of the habit, they took him to a hypnotherapist.

The result? It worked like a charm. He hasn't touched drugs since, nor does he want to. In fact, he has NO memory of even ever having a drug problem. When people tell him how he was, he doesn't believe them!

So yeah, apparantly hypnotherapy can work for some people.

6. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

I hope you're not thinking of regular hypnosis, where you are confronted with old memories, because during hypnosis you are highly susceptible to the influence of others, which can cause false memories to be created. It's incredible that hypnosis still is being used for the confrontation with supposedly suppressed memories, despite the knowledge of this being the case.

7. Melancholy

Melancholy Well-Known Member

Have to agree with Hae-gi

There are different types of hypnotherapy, mine is made up of just entering an enhanced state of calm, and being able to deal with whatever I choose in that time. If you're not comfortable in the things that they are saying/doing then don't continue. I can always remember the sessions when I leave.

8. Kimi

Kimi Well-Known Member

I have tried that twice in the past. The first time which really worked for me. I really wanted to change myself and believed I would then after few months I changed to be stronger and happier.

The second time, I was having revenge feeling towards a person and didn't work.. Because I couldn't follow what the therapist told me to do.

Now, I'm extremely depressed and tried other therapies, but non of them didn't work for me unfortunately.

In my opinion, if you really want to move on and want to be better, I think it will work.

Good luck:smile:

9. Kimi

Kimi Well-Known Member

P.S.

Have you tried CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy) yet?

You can get referral from GP if you ask your doctor. I was watching a telly the other day and a lady was commenting about that CBT worked for her even she was on medication which hadn't worked for her.

10. BOLIAO

BOLIAO Guest

I've tried hypnotherapy as well as medication before. Doesn't work for me. Makes me feel awkward. It's as if I'm just playing along with some fool's trick. What recently worked for me is facing my fears and pushing myself to move forward without looking backward. I have spent months lying on my bed severely depressed n suicidal without taking any action to rectify my predicament. I've decide I shall get up and fight again and give life my best shot. hmmmmmmmm hope it's not just for a short moment I'm feeling so positive.

11. Jewel 24

Jewel 24 Active Member

After reading the original question and those who commented I thought it would be interesting to look up hypnotherapy. I too have been considering hypnotherapy. Here is the link I found and it has some really good information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnotherapy

12. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Heh, I feel exactly the same, although what I tried was a semi-kind of hypnotherapy to get over anxiety in front of crowds. Didn't work at all... -_- it apparently works for some, though, but those who feel they can be helped by it should be very cautious of what a crappy hypnotherapist can cause to one's mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.