Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Kaos General, Jul 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Do you spend a inordinate amount of time researching different medical conditions to see if any of the symptoms fit you?

Do you spend all of your waking hours believing that you have a serious illness albeit it mental or physical?

Do you spend a lot of time trying to convince yourself and everyone around you that you do indeed have something wrong with you but everyone, including professionals dismiss you constantly?

Read this, this might actually help some people on here
  2. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

I used to have a friend who was a hypochondriac.
  3. catecholamine

catecholamine Well-Known Member

My biggest worry is that I'll be labeled a hypochondriac. I do a lot of research on conditions, but that's because I think they are interesting. I usually don't think I have anything because I'm objective and don't think "oh, well,, I KINDA MAYBE have that....". A lot of symptoms are common anyway, such as fatigue, dizziness or headaches. They have a bazillion causes, many harmless.
    I'm so afraid of being labeled a hypochondriac however that I find myself putting health problems on the backburner and telling no one about it. Hopefully that makes me not a hypochondriac. I think. Lol.
  4. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Meh labels are a pointless exercise anyway. If you get diagnosed with something then its only got anything to do with you and you alone. Its your choice if you tell someone or not.
  5. jlc20m

jlc20m Well-Known Member

I think pdocs call this "health anxiety" now. I'm not like this, but my father was and my friend is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.