Hypocritical views by society regarding "losers" committing suicide.

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by TheBLA, Jan 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

This is something that has been bugging me for a bit and I was hoping for you guys' take on it. I feel that myself as a "loser" has to commit suicide because he
    is so inferior to all those around him. I feel that all these people would laugh at me and mock me while I am alive. For instance, they'll mock me for having a mediocre job, having no friends, no girlfriend, etc.
    while they have all these things and pick on me for lacking them. They laugh at me for being the freak in a sea of normalcy.

Yet if I go through and commit suicide because of this, they would all be quite shaken and upset. If I were in the middle of a suicide attempt or just about to do it, they would rush out and work their hardest to save me.

It just seems strange to me that they would act hypocritically this way. Even if they don't actually attack me while I am alive, at the very least, they will be very indifferent and not give a damn about me at all.
    First, most people won't come to you, you have to come to them usually for things to get done. But even if I go to someone for help, they may tell me to get lost and say they are too busy with their own affairs. Yet
    if I die, they will feel very sad about it. Its just something that is irking me right now.

What do you guys think?
  2. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

I dont know that people will care much either way,i mean if they cared that much then they wouldn't mock us in the first place right?My immediate family might cry when i'm gone but they're hypocrites anyway,only today my mother claims that i chose this miserable life for myself.Yeah i chose to miss out on fun,friends,family,kids,holidays,career! Imean why wouldn't i when it's been so much fun living my life in isolation.
  3. gloomy

gloomy Account Closed

The world needs punching bags, I guess.

I don't know where you live, but I really don't think it's as bad as you describe-- people can treat each other extremely poorly, but for the most part if they do that then they're not happy with themselves either. People who just advocate not doing it because they heard someone disagree with suicide and liked the idea of being indignant or proud are dumb, people who actually have valid reasons why you shouldn't do it are worth listening to… and there are always valid reasons not to do it.

To me it sounds like either you're making all of this up/getting ahead of yourself, or you're being bullied. My advice would be to start working out, get really strong, and then the next time someone calls you a loser, punch them in the nose. Don't even think about the consequences, just do it. Nobody has the right to make you feel like a loser.
  4. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

People take it for granted that other people will be ok, and very often don't stop to consider whether their words or actions are hurting someone. As you said, they would be very upset if you were to attempt suicide, but they take it for granted that you won't. Although my family do not mock me (not to my face, anyway), they know I'm hurting, but do nothing about it. They just assume I'll be ok.

Thing is though Rahul, you're not a loser and you don't deserve to be treated like one. But if believe you're a loser and don't take yourself seriously, they won't either. This isn't some stupid pep talk, but I think you need to learn to think more highly of yourself. I know you're not happy with your life, but you will get there. And you will show all those idiots that you're actually amazing.

How is your new job going?

5. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Hi Madam Mim. I have mixed feelings about my job. Its better than my last job that was very stressful. However, its a very easy job that probably even a high-school graduate can do. I'm feeling quite depressed that my best and only friend is a year younger than me and got just a few weeks ago that pays twice as much. Although to be fair, its a much harder job that actually takes full advantage of his college degree. My job is quite easy and I only really work like 2 out of the 8 hour workday and lounge the rest. So its only fair that its only half the pay I suppose. I don't think in my fragile mental state, I'd be able to handle a "full" job right now anyways. But I still feel bad for having a job that is so simple, is not meaningful and fulfilling, etc. I'm just basically doing "manual", "stupid" labor and relieved my senior co-workers from doing this work so they could focus on far more important things while I take care of this menial, drudge work that they wasted their time on before. Its like how a janitor's work is still important, yet nothing to be proud of to have, you know?

Related to this thread I made, our hypocritical society will put down animals who are badly injured, in terrible pain with no hopes of recovery. Some societies in certain countries even do that for human beings with terminal illnesses. Why don't they do it for me who is terminally mentally ill? Like those people with advanced cancer, my situation will never, ever improve and I will only continue to suffer. I've ruined my life far beyond repair with my extreme, heavy isolation and whatnot. I've fallen too far behind everyone else. Why can't society show me mercy and grant me a quick, painless death by lethal injection for instance? Its ridiculous that I can only get that here in Texas by becoming eligible for the death penalty for a capital offense. They are just willing to let me suffer here and laugh at a loser who is getting older and older (will become a quarter of a century old soon) and still is a virgin, has only one friend, no romantic nor social life, a bum job, etc. Why can't they grant me mercy? :(

I know, they just want to keep me alive so they can bleed my wallet dry with anti-depressants to keep me drugged and content for as long as possible as I keep filling up the pharmaceutical's coffers. The only "pill" that would have quick and permanent effect on my suffering would be a bullet.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
  6. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

Rahul, I know just how you feel about your job. I was in exactly the same situation a few years ago, when all my friends had just finished degrees and were getting amazing, high paid jobs, and I was stuck paper pushing in a dead end job. Like you though, I was not well enough to do anything else, and it took me a couple of years to sort myself out enough to get a better job and then to start my own degree. I'm now in my final year and in the top 1% of my university. It hasn't been easy, but there's no way I could have achieved this eight years ago. Don't feel intimidated by people younger than you - you're hardly old! I'm 26, and can honestly say that the experiences I've had have made all the difference to my degree.

I also feel exactly the same about society and euthanasia. But although it seems to us that nothing will ever improve, I suppose there is the possibility that things can get better. At my age my sister was depressed and suicidal, and now she's really quite happy. She found what she needed to be happy with her life. I'm hoping that what I need is a good job, hence the degree. I may be wrong, but I'm giving it a shot. I think you would be happier in a better job too, but don't try to rush yourself. You have all the time in the world to find your niche, so give yourself time in your current job and take advantage of the spare time it gives you to think about what sort of job you'd really like and work out what you'd need to do to get it.

Although society euthanises animals in pain and the human animals who commit capital offenses, even depressed animals are given the chance to get better. It doesn't seem fair that we are forced to continue to live in such pain, but I remain hopeful that it won't last forever.

7. detest

detest Banned Member

Humans are complete twits. You're completely right in that we're all hypocritical.
    We're all scum to some degree, it's just that most people act how they think they're
    supposed to act, regardless of their true feelings or views.
  8. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

I feel the only reason society doesn't want me to commit suicide isn't for any altruistic reasons. Forget if I even had any loved ones who would miss me if I was gone. Besides, that is slowly coming true anyways as I further anger or alienate myself from my loved ones.

We as humans are naturally selfish and we of course make up our society. Society wants to keep me alive for as long as possible as a slave to work for some corporation and further their agenda and goals. If I commit suicide, who will they have to do the work for them? Not robots, at least not yet. I am just a number, a statistic. I am just a speck to this society. This sick society doesn't want me to commit suicide and tells me to just keep hope alive and to keep on living, but for what!? For me to just live as a punching bag as earlier described? So that the normal people with tons of friends, girlfriends, wives, better jobs, etc. can compare themselves to me, laugh and mock me, and feel a lot better being much higher on the totem pole than myself? If I die, which loser will they mock and berate and degrade to make themselves feel better!?

That's all I serve as, just as fodder, as another worker, someone to make others feel better about their life, their wages, their living conditions or just to advance theirs.

If I die, how will the hospitals and psychologists and psychiatrists make any money off of me? They'd all be out of a job if all their patients killed themselves. They ideally probably don't even want their patients to get completely better. They want them to continue suffering and being miserable, but yet alive, so they can be valuable, repeat customers to them.

Just a single, little bullet will do at least myself a whole lot better than many visits to mental health professionals and popping an untold number of pills, etc, only to just keep me going enough for each meaningless day by day in some drudgery job to further fill the pockets of some fat-cat in a fancy suit and to rinse and repeat this disgusting cycle. I am not expendable to them just yet, I still have use to them as a working mule. Just thinking about this gets me so down. All these filthy pigs just want me alive for their own ends.

For those who suffer from depression and suicidal thoughts and otherwise have everything going for them, great job, great education, a loving family, many friends, many hobbies, etc. by all means, I wish them the best of luck to get treated as soon as possible. I honestly cannot understand their depression since I lack all the things that they have. Actually, I feel very jealous and bitter at them for having more than me, but still as miserable or even more than me. Just imagine for them to have to live in my shoes where I have even less positive things in my life than them and how they'd cope!?

So, what about us select group of depressed and suicidal people that have none of these aforementioned perks that make life worth living? What if I can never get friends, a girlfriend, a wife, etc? What is the point of just living like this and what if there really isn't any hope in the future!? Lets face it, there can't possibly be a "happy ending" for all 7+ billion people alive, not "hope" for every single person on this planet to get better from their plight. Some people just have to suffer tragic lives and tragic ends to even happy lives like through sudden accidents, cancer, etc. What if I am just one of those rare people who is doomed?

This society is just completely without a doubt, absolutely cruel to keep me alive. They would be doing the right thing to at least allow me assisted suicide, at least let my organs go to people who actually need them and will make use of their lives, unlike me, who just sits and wastes his away doing nothing. What if mentally, I am the exact same as one who has a physical, terminal illness, for those people whom at least assisted suicide is considered and even legal in some countries? But for me, I'm not even given the time of day. The very same judge who would immediately refuse my plea for assisted suicide because I "only have depression" would then laugh after leaving the courtroom at my pathetic living conditions. Its all just absolutely infuriating and hypocritical!

Assisted suicide for me and organ donation is the kind, and sensible and reasonable thing to do!
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2012
  9. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Sorry for such a long-winded reply. I've felt especially shitty during this Labor Day weekend. So three days instead of the normal two to be miserable. I hate the weekends in general, or really holidays and vacations in general, the free time. Of course everyone else will enjoy it because they have their friends, family, significant other, etc. to enjoy it with. Not me, the only companion I have is depression.

So this free time just gives me time to be depressed instead and brood and grumble. I really think I'd start working overtime or get a second job to cover the weekends, especially once I move out of my parents' home, just to keep me busy and sane and from killing myself. Its pathetic since "normal" people absolutely crave the weekends and holidays and vacations and I dread them. I am just freaking "Opposite-Man". Thanks for anyone who listens to my rambling, I'll be sure to do the same for you. ;)
  10. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Its funny how I don't think anyone here on this forum should commit suicide, yet I feel that I MUST do it and I cannot be stopped. But that I'll immediately and instictively try to talk someone down from a bridge or high building, etc. So why am I surprised if other people I may not even know don't want me to commit suicide either? In fact, I'll feel some bitterness and anger at them for trying to save my life. Hahaha.

But really, the best option for me would be death and organ donation I believe. I must stop wasting away this life of mine and instead help others in my death. Or would I be able to help people more through living with charity work, etc? My own life to me is pure garbage and non-salvagable, I guess maybe I can at least find some purpose in helping the superior lives of everyone else. :(
  11. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

Death is almost always a bad thing in society. It's seen as a scary thing, which is why most people react with an awe to it, it doesn't necessarily mean they care about the person... it's just unethical to show a lack of care.

If I did commit suicide, I would accept that I will be known a loser, people think there is no valid excuse for it... I would have to accept the view of the majority,which is ''suicide is selfish''. But thoughts and opinions a society may hold are always subjective because that is the way the human mind tends to think. If you really think about it objectively and scientifically, death does not matter at all because nothing really matters in the end.
  12. AlienBeing

AlienBeing Well-Known Member

I think people who insist that the severely, incurably depressed must continue living for them are the selfish ones. I totally relate to you guys. I wonder though how people younger than 30 and in good health can feel so hopeless, even though I myself tried to take my own life twice at 19 and 20. It's probably not reasonable to be so hopeless at such a young age. It's the depression talking for sure. If you feel that hopeless so young, you should definitely keep trying to get out of your depression. Do like I did and try SSRI's then tricyclics, then augmenting those with lithium or thyroid hormone or buspar, then try a combination of a low dose of an SSRI and a tricyclic, then try MAOIs, try transcanial magnetic stimulation next, then ECT, join clinical trials for new drugs such as ketamine, try cognitive behavioral therapy or DBT, go to group therapy or day hospital, try volunteering in your community, try meditation or yoga, get in really good shape and eat really well, go back to school or take up a hobby, join a meet-up group to make friends, try changing jobs and careers. If like me you are now 49, have several chronic pain conditions as well as still being severely depressed, are still poor and isolated and continually doing battle with bedbugs that want to eat you alive and cockroaches that want to eat and poison your food, then you can say it's truly hopeless. On the other hand, I might have saved myself a lot of effort and misery for nothing by giving up hope sooner so who am I to give advice to anyone? But I guess, I figure that was my bad luck, not every life will necessarily turn out that bad in the end. Did you know that 95 percent of people believe that their future will be better than their present? That's probably not even statistically possible. It's just human nature to hope I guess.
  13. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Oh AlienBeing, I've actually be thinking about that recently. I guess it is too bad that I already started becoming very depressed and suicidal at the age of 18, when I was to be around the peak of my physical health.

It will only go downhill from here as I keep aging and get diseases like high blood pressure, arthritis, muscle atrophy, perhaps cancer, etc, but still with depression there alongside all of that. :(
    This is why I've said that I must kill myself probably by the age of 30. That's long enough to have lived in constant emotional pain and without the support of friends, girlfriend, wife, children, and beyond that is where physical ailments will come along as well as my mental ailments. I will suffer more as my parents age and I have to watch them die. I can't bear the thought of that.

How else can I not think about committing suicide when I think that my life can only keep getting worse as time goes on? My current miserable circumstances will still be the same and with getting older and weaker on top of that as well as to watch my parents slowly die!?

Most people deal with the harsh realities of life such as aging, getting sick and having their parents pass away with the cushions of friends, significant others, etc. to keep them company. Otherwise, we'd have many, many more cases of mentall illness and suicide! I likely won't have any of these things to fall back on. Already, I pretty much only have my parents and little brother in my life and they will all leave me eventually, through death or isolation. I will be all alone to face the shit that life will throw my way. I just can't do it.

Oh geez, I'm getting even more sad now after this thread, I can't think about this aging stuff now, I'm already very sad over other things. ; (
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2012
  14. anarulesmenow

anarulesmenow Well-Known Member

I guess that a lot of people think if you just attempt then you're 'faking' or 'attention seeking' which often isn't true. Even if a person did attempt suicide for attention there is still a problem there.
  15. japanlover

japanlover Well-Known Member

Oh man do you strike a cord with me. I know exactly what you mean and understand you totally. I wish i could actually do it that is.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.