Hypothetical situations, poss. trig.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by xan, Mar 2, 2009.

?

Which did you pick?

1. Q1: Yes Q2: Yes

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  2. Q1: Yes Q2: No

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Q1: No Q2: Yes

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  4. Q1: No Q2: No

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  5. Don't know

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xan

xan Chat Buddy

This might trig. so be safe when reading :smile:

Ok so answer question 1 then question 2, can't change your mind for question 1 after answering second one and try to be honest.

Question 1
    6 people are in hospital all 20 years old, all average 'good' people with families who love them. Without organ transplants they will all die, none can get their organs from anywhere else and will die unless... 1 person selected randomly who has no family is killed and their organs used to let all the others live their lives, dying when they would of had it not been for the illness. Given the power to choose would you kill that person? (Noone will know you made the choice)

Question 2
    A serial killer has tied you to a chair (you can't escape) and given you a button. He isn't going to harm you and will let you go after this event. There are two rooms, one with the same 6 people in from Q1 all healthy and one with the randomly selected person from Q1. If you push the button the room with one person releases a gas that kills him painlessly. If you don't push it the other room will fill with gas killing the 6 people with some discomfort. He'll let you go and nobody will know you were there. Do you push the button?

Why'd you make the choices you did? :unsure:

2. Alais

Alais Well-Known Member

It is never my decision to take someone else's life, no matter what the circumstances are. I am not a murderer, I could never live with the knowledge that I had killed someone, even if it meant saving the lives of others. It would have been the serial killer's decision to take those lives, not mine. I cannot create a life, therefore I will not take someone else's away.

3. Pad

Pad Well-Known Member

the 1st question no, nature has decided that they will die. I am not going to kill a healthy man to save 6 unhealthy men. It would be up to the healthy man if would want to

the 2nd question yes, If there is no way around it the one death is better than 6 given the circumstance they are being murdered.

Odd questions

4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Q1 and Q2: do nothing. Others [nature and a serial killer, respectively] are responsible if you do nothing. I am not judging any life/lives worth more or less than any other.

5. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

:laugh:Now I feel bad. I've killed 12 people through inaction. But I couldn't take another person's life. I couldn't stand making that decision. So much for moral pragmatism,

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

Q1) No - that person still has time left, to see their loved ones, to make the most of their final moments etc. I can't deny them that.

Q2) Yes - Somebody is going to die instantly. Their time is up. Might as well be the painless death.

7. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Well-Known Member

No and No. You have a choice, you still have your honor. Your choice should respect other's individuality, self-worth, and honor. I will not kill anyone, by putting me in a situation where someone dies, the circumstances are beyond my control. It's a lie to say by not taking action I'm letting more people die because in reality disease and the serial killer are doing the killing not me.

8. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

i choose no and no.
    because its nothing to do with me in either case.

9. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

1)No 2) Yes. It's logical to choose the death of one over the many but it's only really going to happen when the perpetrator can claim diminished responsibility and/or somewhat humane means of murder, if such a thing can exist.

10. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

Q1 No Q2 Yes

11. mitochondrion

mitochondrion Member

I chose yes and yes. I could live with all other options, too, but if forced to act in some way, I'd favour the utilitarian approach.

12. Overruled

Overruled Active Member

I'd kill the lonely guy. Save more people, his death is less painful. 2 + 2 = ...

13. Beautiful Disaster

Beautiful Disaster Forum Buddy SF Supporter

more proof of my stupidness, i didnt even read the question ha..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.