I always feel like I'm in the wrong

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by SAVE_ME, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SAVE_ME

SAVE_ME Well-Known Member

Why is that? Even if I haven't done anything wrong at all, I feel like I should be punished. I sometimes feel like I deserve my depression. Like maybe I am paying my karmic debt. Every time I fight and argue with someone, I feel like a really bad person for not being able to control my feelings. I feel bad for making mistakes and it's as if I am punishing myself for not being perfect.
  2. eagles_fan

eagles_fan Well-Known Member

Well, what are you arguing about?

And maybe it'd help if you did control yourself. It's not good to constantly argue. Even if you feel someone is wrong, it's best to just ignore them most of the time. Don't go looking for arguments. I'm the same way sometimes and I know how you feel, like you have to be right, correct?

Well, it's best to just let people think whatever they want.
  3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hi, Save Me. I'm sorry you're feeling so "wrong" about things. It doesn't feel good to always be on edge, whether it's anger, hurt, or guilt that we feel.

If I'm feeling edgy in response to something someone says/does, I try to stand back, calm down, and then ask the person to clarify what they said/did. A calm talk and clarification can save me and the other person lots of stress and upset over small things.

As for feeling responsible or in the wrong for being depressed...You didn't "choose" to feel depressed any more than someone chooses to get the flu. And chances are, you don't need to be punished, either. Feeling overly guilty can be a symptom of depression. If you have a therapist, maybe talk to him/her about the things you feel guilty for to get an idea if you really ought to feel guilty or not.

Is depression karma? I dunno. If it is, then I suppose like other karma, it means we learn to overcome the things we do that we and others find "harmful," prohibitive, and unproductive.

Btw, I don't know anyone who is perfect (and human). :)
  4. Jackie's Strength

Jackie's Strength Staff Alumni

I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone - I can relate all too much. Yes, I think it has to do with perfectionism and also with self-esteem. Working on these two issues, and remembering that nobody is perfect and that it's impossible for somebody to always be wrong, should be helpful. At least, that's what I'm working on :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.