I Am A Bad Son

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by Godsdrummer, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

One of the 10 Commandments is to Honor Thy Father and Mother. Yet I find this extremely increasingly difficult to do. How do you honor a man who is a child molester?

How do you honor a mother, who everytime you call her, she brings depression and despair upon you? How do help them when they live 40 miles away, and you have a crappy car, and no time to go and help?

How can I be a good son, when I am scared to call my own mother?

Heck, I even feel like I am a Bad Christian.

I mean, how can God love me, when I am obviously a bad son for not being able to take the time to help them, or even call?

My sister doesnt have faith. She abandoned our parents a long time ago, and is ignorantly blissful of all of this crap.

Sometimes, I envy her.

I am indeed a bad Christian.

And because of that, how in the heck can I get up on that platform every Sunday and help lead in Worship, when I am a hyprocrite?

How can I go thru the Christmas Season, trying to rejoice in all that is good about this time of year, when I am obviously a bad person.

I feel as bad today, as I did this time last year, when I was alone and drunk most days going thru the divorce crap.
  2. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Do you think that God would look at it like this? Or would he see a man struggling and trying to do his best for himself and his family? I believe in a forgiving, loving God who doesn't judge us for trying and failing only for not trying at all. You have children... would you turn away from them in these circumstances?
  3. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

That is where I try to keep my focus on. My wife and kids. And no, I wouldnt want to abandon them. But there are days when I feel terribly trapped.
  4. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I think you put too much on yourself...no one's perfect and we are all sinners.....that is how god made us...

About honorring your parents, it depends what honnor means to you....you can honnor and respect your parents and disagree with the way they choose to live. You can't change them and help them if they don't want to.

If getting in touch with them, tears you appart I doubt god would want you to suffer like that and I don't see that as honoring your parents...

Parents are suposed to be protectors, instructors and loving toward their children...it sounds like they weren't much of each...and it sounds like you've done way more for them than they did for you...

You know there's also that how can you take care of others when you don't take care of yourself...do you think it is good that you contact your mother who makes you feel bad, makes you suffer? Does that make you a better person? You have to take care of yourself and know your boundaries...it is no sin to know and excercise your limits...
  5. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

Nobody is bad or good, it's what they do that is. Your parents issues aren't yours to deal with or to mend, if your dad is a child molester it's a choice he made and the consequences are his own responsibility, not yours. The same goes for your mother, her having issues doesn't make them your responsibility. If you want to be a good son just be there for them and support them as best you can, their problems are their own. A lot of the commands the Bible gives are hard to adhere to in this day and age, I don't think God is going to hold it against you if you can't solve everybody's problems. They're your parents and I'm sure the most they expect from you is to just love them regardless of what they've done or what they continue to do.
  6. Jack_Smart

Jack_Smart Member

god never hates anyone. he will not see these things in this manner thats why he is god and we are humans. he will not hate you. you will be forgiven for your sins and don't forget that god is always there with you
  7. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Thank you Jack!

And thanks guys!