I am a smoker...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by jimk, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

Words from dr, dentist , relatives and others that Jim you have to quit puffing now.. Well am almost 65 and still kicking.. I am a nervous sometimes manic and other times a cruising feeding on the bottom..

To cut thru the BULL I bloody well need my Marlboros just to keep going and staying out of the booby hatch..sometimes dragging on the butts is all that I can do..

More likely to flap my arms and take flight than quit this god forsaken habit.. Preach the contrary at me and we will have words...

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

actually one psychiatrist said there is no harm in lighting up a cigarette if it brings some calm some peace to your mind I hope you continue to do what is best for YOU Jim hugs

3. gloomy

gloomy Account Closed

Everyone needs vices… smoking definitely isn't the worst one.

4. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

I was a smoker for 15 years; finally managed to kick the habit, took up drinking instead.

gloomy is right, we all need vices. You can quit one, but chances are you'll just replace it with another. Or at least that's true in my case. We all know smoking isn't healthy, but then neither is drinking, gambling, overeating, or any of the hundreds of other vices that people turn to every day to take their minds off of stuff. Would be pretty hypocritical of me to preach to anybody about their habits. Sometimes I think I would've been better off if I just kept smoking.

5. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

Eclipse, gloomy and lone wolf thanks for your thoughts... july 19th will be my 33 anniversary without illegal drugs and hard liquor.. that took that onhe night with katie my ex and son johnny when katie said them or us and i choose family.. cigs are a hell of a lot harder for me to kick.. been smoking since 1965 and habit is firmly entrenched within me.. lastest little tidbit was a letter yesterday from my doc with the telephone number for the quit for life program's telephone number.. going to tell doc elizabeth that the aquit for life program is exhausted from their many efforts on my behalf with the cancer sticks...

geez , i wish i knew how to kick this damn habit .. but i don't..

6. gloomy

gloomy Account Closed

Heh-- actually, I replaced smoking with junk food and now I'm trying to replace junk food with working out.

7. chewbacca

chewbacca Well-Known Member

sorry but this cracked me up

carry on :D

8. chewbacca

chewbacca Well-Known Member

become a shaolin! now!
    :D

im serious!

9. TheLoneWolf

jimk, as an addict/alcoholic and ex smoker who has started, quit, relapsed, started again, over and over again, I have to say that smoking was the hardest thing for me to quit. I don't think I've ever mentioned this here before, but I spent some time in rehab when I was younger, going to NA and AA meetings, the whole bit... and almost every single person at those meetings was a hardcore smoker and caffeine addict. We'd all cling to our cigarettes and coffee because it was all we could do to stay sane without the drugs and alcohol. I fully understand why the nicotine would be the hardest thing to quit; in addition to being a highly addictive substance, it's a habit and probably one of the lifelines that has kept you from going back to your old ways.

I managed to quit first by switching to light cigarettes, then cutting back from a pack a day to less than half a pack a day, then I started the nicotine patch, used that for about 2-3 weeks, then after that was able to kick nicotine for good. Overall it was about a 2 month process. Not bad for ending a 15 year habit. Still, like I said, I did go back to drinking again... and I agree chewbacca, it is funny in a twisted sort of way. The irony is that every time I'm drinking, I wish I had a cigarette... lol. Nevertheless, managed to go 2+ years without a hint of tobacco, and I can safely say that I could go the rest of my life without ever smoking again. The drinking is something I turned to mainly because of my overall unhappiness with my life. I know I could quit if I had a good enough reason to, because I've done it before. I just don't have anything in my life worth being sober for at the moment.

10. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

LoneWolf thanks for your story here.. yes that first morning caffeine with that cig is a real tough lil bugger to let go of.. boy is it ever.. that afternoon Coors beer is similar for me..

LW reading your story has replensihed some hope again.. going to try and cut down from that pack and a half and couple of mini cigars each day.. see how that goes for a bit.. is not going to be easy at all.. got the nicorette lozenges already and between here, mental health center, quitnet.com and the quit for life program within the next couple of weeks going to make an earnest attempt to do without my marlbor 100's

11. TheLoneWolf

Good for you Jim. Don't get discouraged though, like I said, it can be a tough thing to quit and if it's the only thing keeping you sane, there are definitely worse things to be addicted to. I would never sit here and lecture somebody for their habits, whether it be smoking, drinking, drugs, gambling or whatever... I know life is hard, and we all find different ways to cope. Of course there are consequences to everything we do, so that's something you have to consider with your habits - whether or not the positives outweigh the negatives. In the end, we all have to die from something... I'm sure we've all heard the joke about the health nut lying in a hospital bed dying of nothing. It's just a matter of what kind of risks you're willing to take, and whether or not you can find the strength to give up an old habit. If you can, great. If you can't, that's okay too. If you fail on your first attempt, you can always try again. I actually tried to quit about 3 or 4 times, unsuccessfully, before I finally made the commitment to myself to do it. You can do it if you put your mind to it and find other ways to occupy your time. One of the hardest things for me was getting out of the habit of going out to smoke every hour or so. I had to learn to be content just sitting there without going out, without holding a cigarette between my fingers, without inhaling that smoke into my lungs... like you said, that first cigarette of the day, man that was like a ritual. Tough to give that up. But I did it, and eventually I got used to the idea of not being a smoker.

12. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

the title of this thread says it all.. many more attempts to quit and all the addventures and strife and ups and downs and all around have lead to this current decision.. all i am going to do now is try to cut down some and see if i can survive at a somewhat even keel doing this.. a pack is better than 40.. few less is better than 20.. slowly over time attempt to wean way the hell down and just try to maintain some rationality..

this all of nohting routine has just worn the bloody helll out of me lately.. i am a stranger to moderation.. time i attempt to familarize myself with it..

13. TheLoneWolf

Yeah, going completely cold turkey can be an incredibly difficult thing to do, if not impossible for many people. The way I see it is this: if every cigarette you smoke causes a certain amount of damage to your health, then less cigarettes is better than more cigarettes, right? You don't have to quit something entirely to be healthier. Every little step you take is progress. If smoking a pack a day will give you lung cancer after so many years, then it's logical to assume that only smoking half a pack a day will slow down that process. You are right, moderation is key. That's probably something I need to learn to do with my drinking as of late.

14. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

My Dad smoked nearly all his life..cigarettes, pipe, cigars..
    in his late 60s the doc told him to give up as he had emphysema
    he gave up cold turkey and then went about telling everyone who smoked to stop before it was too late!

he died a long agonizing death gasping and choking for breath...it was traumatic for both him and his family watching
    I'm not preaching to smoke or not..just wanted to share my story

15. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

IV thanks for your real words here.. made me realize this is not a game but very real.. knock on wood i am not really sick yet and it is time to quit this god forsaken habit.. got a couple more packs and tuesday is my quit day.. reason i want to do this just woke up and came strolling by me just now with clothes in hand.. i got lots of support if i ask and need it..

16. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

good luck jimk with 'quitting'..
    I'm not a smoker but I understand it must be difficult to stop...
    sounds like you have a good reason to quit. *hug*

17. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

Quit ingesting nicotine today at 9am.....

18. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

way to go!! good luck!
    i hope it works for you this time..just keep remembering your 'reason' for doing it :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.