I am afraid to get help

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by ooo, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ooo

ooo Member

I haven't had a friend in years, I can barely function anywhere there are people but I am afraid that if I talk to a professional about it they will throw me in an institution if I tell them I have regular thoughts of suicide! Is this something that I should be worried about?
  2. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

Talking to a professional and admitting that you have thoughts of suicide will not result in you being thrown in an institution.
    What it will result in, is you receiving the treatment you need to deal with how you are feeling.
    I know that the thought of talking to a professional and actually admitting to your suicidal thoughts is a daunting one but it is the first step forward.

Take care Hazel
  3. Adeline

Adeline Well-Known Member

They won't throw you into an insititution at all. They will definitely try to sort through your problems with you. You should try and get some help if you think that you need it. :smile:

4. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

Unless you have previous attempts or a previous hospitalization, this is probably the case. I'm skeptical that it is true if you do fall into this category.
  5. Freddy

Freddy Guest

To answer your question. Its NO.

When I was in high school I told my teacher I was suicidal and got the high school psychologist to deal with my issues and was given referrals. I was never thrown in an institution.
    They wont even tell your parents because its patient/doctor confidentiality.

Just tell them you've been feeling really depress for sometime.
  6. Royfokker

Royfokker Member

First, I live in the USA

I have suicidal thoughts very often. I have never told my therapist though. My therapist always tells me what I say to her is confidential unless I say I am gonna harm myself or others. So I just hide from her my suicidial tendencies.

I too do not really have my own friends(that I made). Just talk to a "professional" you can always hide your suicidal thoughts from them by not bringing them up in sessions. I feel comfortable with therapy because I know it is their job to talk about psychological problems. I used to look forward to therapy but these last few months I have stipped going. It used to break up my isolation to talk to somebody for an hour.
  7. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

Therapy would work better if you were open and honest about your feelings.
  8. Royfokker

Royfokker Member

I think about suicide so often that if I started being honest I would end up locked up in care.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.