I Am Envious Of The Mentally Handicapped

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Godsdrummer, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

My part time job I do on the weekends, is delivering pizza's to the vast mass of humanity.

On occasion i will deliver to a place out in the country where mentally handicapped (used to be called, retarded) folks live.

They live in innocent bliss. They have no worries. No financial troubles. They dont know of good credit vs bad credit. They dont have to worry about their car being repoed. They done even have to worry about going to hell. Suicide is a concept they couldnt even comprehend.

They live in peaceful innocent bliss.

Oh what I would give to live like that...even for a while.
  2. HawthornePassage

HawthornePassage Well-Known Member

wouldnt make that generalization about all of them; many of them are actually more emotionally sensitive because their intellectual side is dimmed, so if theyre not profoundly retarded they may actually have the capacity to feel sentiments. maybe not the complex torture chambers we construct for ourselves, but something.
  3. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

Godsdrummer , Hawthorne is righ tin many case of mentally disabled.. my son johnny is 35yrs old now and is severely autisitic and non verbal.. john sees and feels these days everything going on around him... he just cannot verbally express it sometimes.. in the early years tween age 2 and 5 katie his mom and i spent a lot of time in the classroom with the students and the two teachers.. these kids were miserable.. crying , tantruming and screamiong most of the time.. they were not in any kind of unaware bliss.. not at all.. they knew they were different and hurt so very badly because of those facts..

john is doing much better these days as are his former fellow students.. john is the only one still living with his parents.. the other 5 are living in supported living arrangements at privately owned and state institutions... washington state is broke.. cuts througthout social services in many states.. the staff is stressed and the residents in a lot of cases pick up on that.. yes there are some that are so disabled the outside world is something they are not aware of but a lot of them know and feel just like "normal people" ..

johnny gives love and accepts it very well.. truthfully some do it much better than that phrase normal people do.. this subject is our life so take this subject very personally.. JIm, Katei and JOhn
  4. Brandt

Brandt Well-Known Member

I know I wouldn't, being able to think for myself and not have to rely on another human being to wipe my ass is something I take pride in. As depressing and miserable as this world can be, I would rather be on it without the added struggles that come with being mentally handicapped.
  5. cruztacean

cruztacean Member

I make a distinction between the autistic (who can have very high IQ's) and the intellectually delayed. Both fall under the category of "mentally handicapped," and both get derisively called "retard" by mean-spirited creeps, but there is a ginormous difference between the two. Although Brandt makes a powerful case, I actually agree with the OP. I envy those who are intellectually delayed, the ones who have the mentality of children. I test within the autism/asperger's spectrum myself, as do several members of my family, and I have actually been told by a psychiatrist that I might be a significantly happier person "if we could find a valve and drain off some of your IQ points." As a child I was getting the best grades in my class, but I was the slowest runner, and the last to learn to climb a tree, throw a ball, jump rope, or ride a bicycle. Never mind my intelligence, it was the physical delay that earned me the dreaded label of "retard" and guaranteed that my classmates would despise me.

And don't think the intelligence ever balanced anything out. Any time I was the only one in the class to get an A on a test, I was a "nerd," a "geek," a "weirdo," and paradoxically "dumb," "stupid," and STILL a "retard."

Besides this, I had an aunt who was intellectually delayed. She never developed past the mental age of about 10 or 11. She was a bedwetter her entire life. Although for many years she held a job in the family business, and was good at it, her job involved simple, repetitious tasks and nothing more. She could never live a fully functional adult life, always had to be supervised, and remained totally dependent on her mother, who outlived her.

The doctor had told my grandparents she could not become stressed out, or she might slip into seizures. Therefore, any time there was a conflict between her and another child, they'd intervene and make sure she got things done the way she wanted it. Back in the days before cable and VCR's, if there was a disagreement over what to watch on TV, everyone had to watch what she chose, so she wouldn't be upset. She always had to be humored and told she was right. People did NOT call her "stupid" and "retard" as they did me. They were too polite. And she was always the center of attention. Any family gathering or activity catered to her special needs, and ran on her timetable--ie, the rest of us were always waiting for her to catch up. Any game, race, or contest, the others froze in their tracks and let her "win" so she'd feel good about herself. Those of us who were "normal" were the ones asked to make the sacrifices.

So yeah, I envied her.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2011
  6. ZasuArt

ZasuArt Well-Known Member

My partner is a middle school special ed teacher/facilitator. Several years ago, she had a student w/ Aspergers Syndrome (a form of autism), and I believe some other developmental issues, who to this day is her all time favorite (and mine!), I'll call him "Jake". One day my partner asked her students, "If you could have one wish, to have or be or do anything at all, what would it be?". Being middle school age children, most of their answers were predictable: cars, mansions, fame, unlimited riches. But when it came Jake's turn to answer, he simply stated, "I wish the birds would stop eating my garden!". I still marvel at the wisdom in the simple, uncluttered way that he experiences the world. Over the years since she was his teacher, Honey and I have kept up with him and gone to his basketball games. He has been the star player on a team with other developmentally disabled people for years (he is 6'3", and always makes sure all his teammates have a chance to get the ball). He's now 25 years old, and still calls us about once per month. He will probably always live with his (wonderful) parents, and has a challenging life by most standards, but he is by far the happiest and most content person I've ever met. He has no concept of malice, judgement, envy or despair.

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

I'm so glad that your boy is happier and free of much of the turmoil of his earlier years, Jim. I know that some of the autistic students that Honey has worked with suffered similar struggles. You have so much to be proud of (in yourself and in him). Your relationship with John is such a beautiful, inspirational thing! :hug:
  7. Brandt

Brandt Well-Known Member

I've actually had the privilege of having an autistic friend, he was undoubtedly one of the most intelligent people I've ever known he just didn't have the means of expressing it like a person we would consider "normal" would. I loved spending time with him, like "Jake" he was always happy and I always felt like I could learn a thing or two from him.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.